Chocolate Roll with White Chocolate Cream Filling, another Yummy Vintage Recipe
Ready to slice
Chocolate Roll Recipe
- Beat together 5 egg yolks and 1 cup sugar
- Add 3 tablespoons ground chocolate and 1 tablespoon cocoa
- Sift together: 1 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder and add to yolk and sugar mixture; blend well
- Fold in the 5 well beaten egg whites (of the 5 eggs)
Butter a baking sheet, line with waxed paper, then butter the paper.
Spread dough 1/2 inch thick over the sheet.
Bake 10 minutes in medium oven.
Mix a little powdered sugar and flour on a paper and turn the cake out over this. Roll, along with a cotton cloth as you would a jelly roll. Let cool on a wire rack.. Unroll and spread filling over the cake and re-roll. Cutting off dry edges might be necessary before re-rolling. Spread more filling over the top of the cake roll. This is more like a glaze on the top.
White chocolate cream filling and topping
- Mix in saucepan: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Slowly add 1 cup milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat 1 egg yolk and stir in this about half of the milk mixture, then combine with the other milk mixture.
- Melt 3 ounces of white chocolate and add this to the heated mixture. Also add 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix thoroughly. Add about 2 cups powdered sugar to thicken.
The chocolate roll listed a chocolate sauce but that was too much chocolate for our tastes. Other fillings/sauces you might try are butterscotch or a white sauce with orange flavoring.
- Decorate the top with well placed maraschino cherries or other candied fruit
- Use other flavored filling/glaze. As mentioned above, orange is very good with chocolate, as is butterscotch or vanilla.
- Preparing this dessert as we did, it is not terribly rich ... a one inch slice is perfect.
I hope you enjoy this dessert as much as we all have.