Chocolate Apple Cake
A beautiful Chocolate and Apple cake Cooked simply in 45mins!
The perfect recipe to create a beautiful chocolate and apple cake. If you love cooking, im sure you will love this, my grandmother gave me this recipe and showed me step by step how to make it. Now my cooking skills are not great, but this simple 6 step guide makes it very easy.
Have fun Cooking!
- 250g (9oz) plain flour
- 25g (1oz) cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g (4oz) butter (softened)
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- 175ml milk
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 450g (1lb) icing sugar
- 25g (1oz) cocoa
- 50g (2oz) butter, softened
- 90ml milk
That's all the ingredients needed to make this cake, now lets get baking!
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Grease a 20cm (8inch) square cake tin. line the base and sides with greaseproof paper. Grease the paper.
- sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk if you have one until light and fluffy. whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla essence.
- Whisk a little of the flour mixture and milk alternatley into the egg mixture, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the chopped apples.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a warm skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean (that's how i test all of my cakes) Leave for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completley. Transfer to a large serving plate.
- For the icing, put the icing sugar, cocoa, butter and milk in a mixing bowl. beat with an electric whisk, on low speed, until creamy and smooth with no lumps. Spread onto the top and sides of the cake. Cut into squares and serve.
For a classic sandwich cake finish, cut the baked cake in half horizontally and spread half of the icing on the bottom layer. Sandwich with the other layer of cake and use the remaining icing to spread over the top.