- Food and Cooking
Christmas Gingerbread Man Cookies Recipe
A great way to spoil the kids this Christmas is with home-made Gingerbread Man cookies. I've been making Gingerbread Man cookies for years and I love to see the joy on children's faces when they see and enjoy eating them.
The other great thing about making your own Gingerbread Cookies it is that it gives you an activity to do with the kids during the holidays as well as help educate them about the benefits cooking.
Below we have a look at a very delicious recipe which is a favourite amongst family and friends.
- 125 grams butter, room temperature
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 375 grams (2 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbinate soda
- 150 grams (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 10 drops red liquid food colouring
- 10 drops green liquid food colouring
- 1 packet of smarties, to decorate
- Beat the sugar with the butter until it becomes creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk to the mixture and mix together until they combine. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate soda.
- Place the mix on a lightly floured surface and knead together into a smooth dough. Flatten the dough and place onto a tray. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting we will prepare the icing for decoration and preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar until the peaks harden. Split the mix into 3 different bowls. Cover one bowl with plastic wrap and place into the fridge. Add the green colouring to one bowl and mix until the colour is consistent. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge. Repeat with red colouring.
- Place the dough between 2 pieces of baking paper and roll out to 5mm thickness. Use your gingerbread man cutter to cut out shapes and place them onto a greased tray. Repeat the process until all of the dough is used up.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until they become brown. Remove from the oven and place them to cool.
- Place your icing mixture into separate plastic bags and cut one corner of the bag to allow you to squeeze and decorate. Decorate Gingerbread men with icing and add smarties for buttons. Enjoy!
Variations to this recipe can be made according to taste preferences. I tend to add more ginger as I enjoy a more intense flavour. If you want to achieve softer gingerbread cookies, you can leave the dough in the fridge for longer than the thirty minutes that have been specified and also bake for five minutes rather than ten.
No matter what your preferences are, these delicious Gingerbread cookies don't have to be limited to just Christmas and can be enjoyed all year round!