Christmas Smarties Cookie Recipe in a Jar
Rate this Recipe
Gifts in a Jar
I have so many extended family and family friends that I need to buy gifts for that this time of year can get very expensive, so last year I started making gifts instead of buying them. This year I discovered 'in a Jar' gifts, mainly food ingredients but there were others and thought they would be perfect for our family. So I searched the internet for basic cookie recipes then adapted them for what would suit us. This is the recipe I finally came up with, and it looks great layered in our 1 quart jars. I have managed to buy 15 jars and make up all 15 (including 2 diabetic friendly versions) for around £60, so they work out as about £4 each, but I do still have some left over ingredients for use at a later time too.
Smarties Cookie Recipe
- 1 and 1/3 cup All Purpose White Flour
- 1tsp Baking Soda
- 1tsp Baking Power
- 1/4tsp Salt
- 1 cup Porridge Oats
- 3/4 cup M&M's or Smarties
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips, milk, white and dark - your choice
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, compacted down
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup butter
To make the Jars
- To make the Jars just layer up the dry ingredients as they are listed. Make sure to pack down each level so it will all fit. Ours packed to just the bottom of the neck.
- Using a funnel will help you get the ingredients in more easily.
- Then just add a label, some fabric or paper round the top, and a tag telling the recipient what to do
Other Recipes in a Jar!
To make the Cookies
This is a super simple recipe to make.
1. Simply empty all your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, add 1 large lightly beaten egg and 2/3 cup of softened butter and mix it all together until well combined. You will have a slightly sticky dough mixture.
2. Line a baking tray with Greaseproof parchment and heat your oven to 180C or around 350F.
3. Start rolling your mixture into 1 - 1.5 inch balls. Place them on the parchment then press down on them a little so they flatten and spread (only a bit as they will natural do this as they bake). Leave about 2inch between balls for them to spread.
4. Do this with all the mixture then bake for between 12-15 mins, until golden brown on top. they should still be slightly soft, but will harden when they cool.
5. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool
My other Treat Recipes
- How to make muffins - Dark chocolate muffin recipe
This hub gives you a recipe for dark chocolate muffins and instructions on how to bake muffins. This is a simple and quick muffin recipe that would be fun to bake with your children.
- How to make the perfect Rocky Road - An easy chocola...
A great simple recipe for a yummy Rocky Road treat. Combining Chocolate, biscuits, marshmallows and other ingredients to make this great yummy treat.
- The Most Amazing Chocolate Toblerone and Strawberry ...
Possibly the most amazing cheesecake ever made! This Chocolate Toblerone and Strawberry Cheesecake recipe is just to die for. Be the envy of all your friends by producing this delicious dessert at the next dinner party.