Classic and Delicious Homemade Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
A lot of people shy away from making homemade macaroni & cheese because there is a lot involved with the cooking process. However, homemade macaroni & cheese is actually pretty simple. It works great as a sidedish to practically any meal and is great to take to a potluck or BBQ. Its a staple in my home, my go to meal, that everyone loves.
Baking it in the oven is optional, but I think it gives it that extra creaminess!
Adding ingredients like cooked ground beef, ham or bacon, can turn this side dish into a filling and yummy entree! Or try this paired with my easy BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwhichesrecipe, a complete meal with not a lot of effort!
Picture coming soon!
- 1- 16oz box pasta, (I like to use rotini or shells)
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 cups milk
- 12 oz velveeta*
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, italian or cheese flavored
- 1 cup italian style panko bread crumbs, (regular panko breadcrumbs don't taste the same)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan melt 1 stick butter on low heat.
- Once butter is completely melted add 1/2 cup of flour. Stir well. It may get clumpy or thick. Thats okay, the milk will fix that!
- Add the milk, 1 cup at a time, every 5 minutes while continually stirring.
- Add Velveeta cheese, 1 ounce at a time.
- Add 1 cup of regular breadcrumbs.
- Stir occasionally until sauce thickens. Remove from heat
- In seperate pot, cook pasta as instructed on box, drain and add pasta to sauce mixture.
- Pour macaroni and cheese in casserole dish. Sprinkle panko italian style breadcrumbs over top.
- Place in oven for 1 hour. Remove and let cool for 30 minutes. Eat and enjoy!
*If Velveeta isn't your thing, just use your favorite Cheddar cheese. I have found that White Cheddar makes this dish extra creamy. You could also use a mix of your favorite cheeses. Remember, when cooking any dish you can also make it your own!