Clear Red Cabbage Soup Recipe | Easy & Healthy
Note: This recipe is Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Refined Sugar-Free, but is absolutely flavor-FULL!
Clear soups are perfect for summer, as they are light and easy to have for a quick midday snack or even dinner. The beauty about clear soups is that they can be had piping hot, warm or even cool! This clear red cabbage soup recipe combines divine spices and garlic to bring a unique flavor-fest for your taste buds. Red cabbage is a highly nutritious vegetable that is surprisingly less popular than its green counterpart, but with this easy yet healthy recipe, red cabbage should be making regular appearances in your weekly menu!
Why Red Cabbage Soup?
Although both green cabbage and red cabbage are both packed with nutrients, you should know that red cabbage has up to 10 times more Vitamin A than green cabbage, making it one vegetable that you should eat as often as you can. We find green cabbage added to many dishes, but red cabbage rarely makes an appearance on the dining table! Well, apart from the usual stir fry, you can make this beautiful pink soup with red cabbage that is sure to wow your family and friends.
Apart from Vitamin A, red cabbage is also rich in Vitamin K (important for good bone health), Vitamin C (for a strong immune system) and Iron (needed for the proper transportation of red blood cells in the body).
Soups are a heart-warming and healthy way to get much-needed nutrients into our diet, in addition to fresh juices and wholesome grains. So let's get on to this quick and easy yet utterly tasty red cabbage soup recipe!
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: Serves 4
- 1/2 cup of red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup of mixed vegetables of choice, chopped (I used carrot & French beans)
- 1 medium red onion
- Gluten-free pasta (optional), I used just a handful. Feel free to use more.
- 3 garlic pods
- 1 - 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1- inch piece of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
1. In a large cooking pot or pan, heat up 2 teaspoons of olive oil and toss in all the spices and garlic at a go.
2. After about 2 minutes when the aroma of the spices and garlic is infused into the oil, toss in all the veggies: red cabbage, carrot, beans and onions, at a go.
3. Give this a quick stir, until the veggies are coated with the olive oil and are starting to cook. This should only take about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Now into the cooking pot, pour in 4 cups of water along with the gluten-free pasta, if using. Add some sea salt to taste.
5. Close the lid and let it cook for about 20 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through.
6. Give the soup a quick stir and fish out the bay leaves and other spices. Check for seasoning and add more salt, if required. And voila! Your soup is all done! Wasn't that easy?! Yet it tastes so incredibly delicious and it has a subtle shade pink, too, accented by beautiful colourful veggies!
- Want to filter the veggies and just have a totally clear soup? Go right ahead! In this case, you don't have to add any pasta at all. Some people like to filter out the veggies and just drink the soup out of a cup, and that's a quick way to get in your nutrients without having to spend time chewing through the veggies.
- For more of a 'meal' kind of soup, feel free to add more pasta, as you desire.
- You can make this soup with as many vegetables as you like, such as peas, potatoes and even spinach. On the other hand, you can prepare the soup with no extra vegetables and only red cabbage alone; tastes just as good!
More Healthy Yum-Yums from HealthMunsta:
- Healthy Dessert Recipe: Pistachio Date Fudge
Looking for an easy to make, effortless and cheap dessert to wow your friends and family? Search no more! With this festive and healthy dessert recipe, you can't go wrong. Try Pistachio Date Fudge!
- Super Easy Vegan Cookie Recipe | Oatmeal Banana Bites
It's hard to find an easy vegan cookie recipe that's equally as delicious, but these oatmeal banana cookies have won my heart, and are bound to win your heart, too! Try it and they'll become your fave
- Drinking Fennel Seed Water for Weight Loss
Learn how to drink fennel seed water for maximum weight loss properties. Fennel seed water boosts metabolism and has intense fat burning properties that you can use to help you in your weight loss.
- Easy DIY: How to make Sesame Butter at Home
Ah, Sesame Butter! It's smooth, it's creamy, it's SWEET and it's absolutely delicious! Sesame seeds are tiny powerhouses bursting with health benefits. Learn how to make sesame butter at home - easy!
- Top 10 Best Nuts for Good Health
Did you know, by including the top 10 best nuts for health in your daily diet, you could be providing your body with countless vitamins and nutrients, without taking Vitamin Pills?