- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Nutty Coconut Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Interesting facts on Carrots
- First carrots were found in Afganistan nearly 2000 years ago.
- In early days people ate only the leaves and seeds of the carrot.
- Early carrots were of white, black, yellow and purple color.
- The Dutches were the first people to produce sweet orange colored carrot roots.
- Carrots can be of varied sizes. World's longest carrot was 5.84 metres long.
- World's heaviest carrot weighed around 9 kilograms.
- A good amount of carrot intake can prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Initiation into a family tradition
Our family is a big one. Although we don't stay under one roof but we stay connect all the year round. We live, we laugh, we cherish and even we slander together. The roots of our family has spread near and far. Ours is a cosmopolitan family. While my in-laws stay in India, we live in America and and my husband's brother stays in Germany. Inspite of the different time zones, different work schedules we have succeeded in bonding with each other in such a way that remind us of the joint families of India from the bygone era.
My mother-in-law is a master baker. There was no single birthday of her children where she had not baked a cake for them. The same tradition continues. My sister-in-law is also a very good baker. Her bakes and cakes are famous in the circle of our family and friends. Our men goes gaga on their womenfolk for their exceptional culinary skills. Now it is only me who is a novice in this field. It is not that I have not tried my hands in baking but in terms of expertise I lag miles behind.
Now no more lagging behind. I gear up my determination and here I come. In this New Year I have thought of surprising my family with my endeavor, a simple coconut carrot cake. Here also I took help from my sister-in-law. Carrot cake is one of her hit recipes which I have borrowed. I have also made certain changes at places according to my requirements and here it comes, Coconut Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Please take a moment to rate my recipe
What makes Nutty Coconut Carrot Cake different from other Cakes
- To begin with this cake is full of nutritional value.
- It has the goodness of nuts.
- This cake definitely tastes better than an ordinary cake.
- The addition of coconut gives it a more savory and juicy taste.
- Children who don't like to eat raw carrot will definitely love this cake.
- This cake doesn't have any egg smell that is common in sponge cakes.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4th cup White Oil
- 2 cups Sugar, powdered
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Walnut, Raisins and Almond Mixture, chopped
- 1 cup Carrot, grated
- 1 cup Coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting
- With an electric blender first beat the eggs, sugar and oil thoroughly.
- In another vessel mix well all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder.
- In that same vessel pour in the egg-sugar-oil solution as you continue to blend all of these ingredients.
- Add milk as per requirement. Do keep in mind that the consistency of the cake mix should be medium. It should neither be too thick nor too watery.
- In a separate container mix well the grated carrots and coconut and add it into the cake mix.
- Add the chopped nuts into the cake mix.
- Lastly add vanilla extract into the cake mix and mix all the above ingredients well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. In the meantime grease a 9 inch round baking pan with oil and flour and pour in the cake mix. When the oven is ready place the pan inside the oven and bake it for 40 mins.
- Once the time is over, bring out the cake. Insert a toothpick in the center to see whether the cake is thoroughly baked or not.
- Once baked keep it on the cooling rack for 15 mins to cool down. Once cold, transfer the cake carefully on a plate.
- Decorate it with Cream Cheese Frosting and you can garnish it with grated carrots and sun dried raisins. Now your Nutty Coconut Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is ready to be devoured. Happy Eating.
The Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
I have personally bought a Cream Cheese Frosting from the departmental store and used it to save a little bit of time and energy. For those who want to prepare Cream Cheese Frosting at home here is the recipe:
- In a bowl beat 2 ounce of cream cheese and 2 ounces of unsalted butter well with a electric blender.
- While beating the mixture continuously, pour 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract into the mixture.
- Beat the entire mixture for about 15 mins. Refrigerate it. Your own Cream Cheese Frosting is ready.
Storing the Cake
- Never refrigerate the cake for long. The cake can get hard.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, store it in a cake tin at room temperature. This will help the cake retain the desired moisture.
- By this way you can easily store the cake for 2-3 days. If you want to store it for more days then refrigerate it.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 12 g||60%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 46 g||15%|
|Sugar 23 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 46 mg||15%|
|Sodium 220 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- I used grated carrots that are available at the departmental store. Before using it in the cake recipe grate it once more in a mixer to bring out the juice.Don't over-grate it.
- For additional taste you can also use 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder in the cake mix. This will give the cake a spicy flavor.
I have found this interesting video on Carrot Cupcakes. Please do have a look. It may be of some use to all you Cupcake lovers.
© 2014 Deblina Banerjee