Colorful Rainbow Tie Dye Cupcakes made from Food Coloring Recipe: Cup Cakes for Weddings, Parties, Holidays and more!
Cupcakes have been a widely accepted treat for a very long time. Enjoy this yummy cup cake for kids birthday, holidays and have even become a popular trend at weddings in leu of the expensive, customized wedding cake. The outsides of cupcakes usually are decorated beautifully with icing, sprinkles and wrapping that is colorful, or shiny. What about the interior? Most cupcakes are just white, yellow or brown from the flavored batter, but nothing to write a Hub article about - hah! Put your cupcakes into cupcake baking cups that are just as colorful and you will have a hit with everyone.
So in my quest to experiment on new and fun treats for my family, I came across the "tie-dyed" cupcake! One bite and your kids (or wedding guests!) will be surprised at the beautiful colors found inside! So pre-heat that oven and get started. Don't forget the tall glass of milk!
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® White Cake Mix
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 container vanilla frosting
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Yellow food coloring
- Orange food coloring, (made by mixing)
- Purple food coloring, (made by mixing)
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place white paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- Make cake batter as directed on box for cupcakes, using water, oil and eggs.
- Divide batter evenly among 6 medium bowls. You will dye each bowl separately.
- Drop the following amounts of food coloring into the bowls (One color per bowl) -- Blue bowl: 12 blue drops. -- Red bowl: 18 drops red. -- Purple bowl: 9 red + 6 blue drops. -- Orange bowl: 12 yellow + 4 red drops. -- Green bowl: 12 green drops. -- Yellow bowl : 12 yellow drops. Mix into batter thoroughly.
- Using a tablespoon of each color batter, place them into each muffin cup, layering colors in order of rainbow—red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. Each cup will be about half full. Note: Do NOT mix them, we want the uniform rainbow effect, stirring will just end up with something gross.
- Bake according to cake mix directions or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, top with fluffy white icing and add rainbow sprinkles. Enjoy!
More Great Cupcake Recipes!
- Golden Cupcakes Recipe | MyRecipes.com
This recipe goes with Spring Blossoms, Spice Drop Bouquets, Flower Dots...
- Chocolate Caramel Pecan Cupcakes
These little Devil's Food cupcakes were frosted with a delicious cream cheese frosting and filled full of warm caramel, melted chocolate and chopped pecans. These are very rich and not for the faint of heart!
- Banana Cupcakes with Vanilla Pastry Cream | Brown Eyed Baker
A banana cupcake forgoes traditional frosting in favor of a dollop of pastry cream. Light and delicious, reminiscent of banana cream pie.