Blackberry-Ginger Cookie Crusted Cheesecake
As long as I can remember, cheesecakes have been my favorite dessert. Growing up, I only knew of one kind. It had a graham cracker crust and was topped with cherry pie filling. Every now and then, someone would get adventurous, and offer an array of toppings, but the cake was always the same. Not that it mattered, because it was truly a treat to eat.
Since I have been married, I have experimented with a number of recipes, and now have a few favorites. After all, different celebrations call for different flavors. Here is one of my favorites!
- 3/4 cup bacon grease
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, cream together bacon grease and sugar. Add in egg and molasses. Add remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Press dough, 1/4" thick into the bottom of your pie-plate or springform pan. Bake 15-18 minutes. Cool on wire wrack, then refrigerate.
You can make multiple crusts with this recipe or turn the rest of the dough into cookies by shaping into walnut sized balls, roll in sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with fingers or the bottom of a glass. Bake until cookies are golden and cracked on top, 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Store in and airtight container.
- 1 (8 once) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 once) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix all ingredients very well, pour into crust and refrigerate until firm. About 3 hours.
- 1 pound frozen blackberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon candied ginger, minced. (about 3 slices)
Place all ingredients in a sauce pan, over low heat. Stir frequently, until blackberries are thawed and a syrup has formed. Spoon over slices of cheesecake.
Looking for a writing platform? Join Here