Cooking With Kids: Blueberry Breakfast Recipe
Benefits of Picking Blueberries
Blueberries are an incredible, tiny fruit that you can grow in your yard or can find out in the wild. One of my favorite summer time activities is to go blueberry picking. It is a wonderful family activity. This type of family fun helps children to get a sense of where their food actually comes from, how it ends up in the grocery store. By having children become a part not only of cooking their own food, but harvesting it as well, there is much more of a connection to the food that they eat. They can begin to understand that food is not just something that appears on your plate or that you get in three minutes as you zip through a drive thru. Children can start to see that it takes time and energy to get out and harvest the food that you use to fuel your body. Whether you help to foster this idea through having a garden of your own, or heading out to pick local fruits and vegetables, it is an important lesson for children to learn.
How to Correctly Pick Blueberries
Blueberries are not like most other berries when you pick them. Their leaves are tiny and so are the stems that attach them to the bush. If you plan to use blueberries for cooking, you will save yourself a lot of time if you pick them clean. Picking them cleanly means that they are almost completely free of leaves and stems. You can do this by cupping your hand under the bunch of berries. Then gently roll your fingers (sort of like you would if you are drumming your fingers on a table) on the bunch of berries. The ripened berries will fall into your hand while the unripened berries will stay on the bush. You will not get leaves or stems of you pick them this way. Do not pull the berries off of the bush. Not only will you end up with leaves and stems, but you will also lose many berries as they fall into the surrounding bushes.
How would you rate this blueberry recipe?
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries have many fantastic health benefits. To learn more about how they will add to your overall health, check out this great hub by MissOlive.
Ingredients for Blueberry Fancy
- 1 pint blueberries
- 6 eggs
- 1 loaf Italian Bread
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 eight oz. block of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pictures of Blueberry FancyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for Slow Cooker Blueberry Fancy
- Tear the bread into pieces that are bite size. Cut the cream cheese into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place half of the bread pieces into the crock pot. Pour half of the blueberries on top of the bread pieces. Then cover with half of the cream cheese.
- Next, place the remaining bread, blueberries, and cheese, into the slow cooker.
- In a medium size bowl crack the eggs, mix in the milk, cinnamon, and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- Carefully pour the mixture over the layers of bread, blueberries, and cream cheese. Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for about four hours. You will know that it is done if it does not move when gently shaken. **Can be served with blueberry or maple syrup.
Although blueberry fancy is often viewed as a dessert, it has much more of a savory taste since there is no added sugar. Using maple syrup over the top just before eating gives it just the right amount of sweetness. I personally see this as more of a special breakfast or brunch recipe rather than a dessert. However, no matter how you serve it, it is delicious!