Cooking With Kids: Easy, Almost No Bake, Fruit Pizza Recipe
Getting Kids to Eat Fruit
I find that parents do not have as hard of a time getting their children to eat fruit as much as they with vegetables. The natural sweetness in the fruit lends itself to becoming a dessert in its own right. Fruit is the perfect accompaniment to a meal or can be served after a meal for a treat. Yet even though fruit tends to be eaten more often by kids, it is still important to liven it up once in a while. So here is a great recipe that is perfect on a hot summer day or can be served as a dessert for a party.
How would you rate this fruit pizza recipe?
Ingredients for Fruit Pizza
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 Quart vanilla frozen yogurt
- 2 cups Various berries, Use fruit that will remain firm and keep its shape.
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, Optional
- 1 Tablespoon chocolate, caramel, or strawberry sauce, Optional
- 1 cup whipped cream, Optional
Benefits of Eating Fruit
- High in Fiber
- Often high in anti-oxidants
- Boosts your energy level
- Some studies indicate that it helps to boost weight loss
- Provides a natural way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Great source of vitamins
Pictures of Making Fruit PizzaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for Fruit Pizza
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter and mix completely with the graham cracker crumbs. Then press the crumbs firmly and evenly onto the pizza pan. This is great fun for the kids. Although you will need to go back and make sure that everything is even!
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes. This is just to allow the graham cracker crumbs to bind together. Be careful not to let it burn. Remove from the oven and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes. This will cool it off and allow it to harden slightly.
- Once the crust is ready, remove the frozen yogurt from the freezer and let it begin to melt slightly. Give it about 5 minutes before you start working with it. You don't want it runny, but you want it to be soft enough to be able to spread easily. Remember to work quickly, it will melt fast! Ours was a little soupier than I would have liked but that's what happens sometimes when kids help!
- Once the frozen yogurt is spread, add the fruit on top of it. Follow this with the nuts and then drizzle it with the sauce if you choose to add any.
- Put the fruit pizza back in the freezer for at least an hour to refreeze.
- When you are ready to serve, remove from the freezer, slice and serve immediately.
Books About Healthy Eating for Kids
We had lots of fun making this fruit pizza. It was a perfect treat for a warm day. Although there are some indulgences in it, like the melted Nutella and the frozen yogurt, there still some great benefits of healthy eating in this recipe. The fresh fruit is certain to be eaten in this delicious frozen graham cracker pizza. Instead of using ice cream, we used frozen yogurt which is lower in calories and fat. You can easily leave out the sauce on top and keep out the extra sugar, fat and calories there. We decided that since it was a holiday celebration, that we would include them this time! Remember that there are a variety of frozen yogurt flavors so you can change the flavor of your pizza with just a change of the yogurt!