- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Cooking is my Hobby and Passion
Cooked in a pot
You never get to know which is an authentic recipe or is it because they vary regionally. From then on I just read through and do my own version.
Here is a recipe I tried last night for our dinner, Chicken Cacciatore. This is supposed to be baked but since the electricity charge is very expensive in the Philippines, I tend to cook in the pot most often instead of baking the dish.
The oven is only used occasionally for baking cakes.
Savour it and enjoy.
Let me know please once tried
Was it worth it?
Since I could not find real authentic recipes, I just create my very own version most of the time and adapt from then on. If you try my recipe, I'm sure you'll like it, just like my family did.
Here is a recipe I tried last night for our dinner, Chicken Cacciatore. This is supposed to be baked but since the electricity charge is very expensive in the Philippines, I tend to cook in the pot most often.
The oven is just used now for important baking of cakes for birthdays and any special occasion or when I get orders.
- 13 oz Chorizo or Smoked ham, chopped
- 6 pcs Chicken Breast or Thighs, with bones and skin
- 1/2 cup Flour, any
- 4 tbsp Olive oil or Canola Oil, for rubbing & frying
- 3 large Red Onions, cut into wedges
- 4 large Potatoes, quartered
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- small handful Fresh Thyme Leaves, chopped
- 8-10 Tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cups Chicken Stock, depending on how much sauce you want
- Pinch Chili Flakes or Hot Paprika
- 1 small jar black pitted Olives
- Pinch Salt & Pepper, to your taste
- 1 tbsp Flat Parsley, chopped
- Small Bunch Scallions (spring Onions), chopped
- Accompany with any green vegetable you like, to give colour
You can also serve with a cup of cooked brown rice, since us Filipinos like our rice. Other option is serve with some rice salad or some cannellini beans.
You may also serve this on a bed of steamed savoy cabbage in the winter time. Savoy cabbage is a variety of the plant species Brassica oleracea. Savoy cabbage is a winter vegetable.
You do not have to have the potatoes with my recipe if you want to use the following with the dish; pasta, rice, crusty bread or any Italian bread. Just omit the potatoes for less carbohydrates.
Serve all your meals with care, if you serve food neatly on a plate, it always look good to eat.
If you want wine with the meal, Chianti Red Wine or any other table red wine you may have in the house.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and add small amount of thyme leaves, rub with 1 tbsp oil. Leave to marinade for 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator if cooked the next day.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the remaining 3 tbsp oil, add the chopped chorizo or smoked ham and fry until just golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Get chicken and coat it with ½ cup flour, then fry in the frying pan until golden brown all over and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and fry for 5 minutes until golden. Add the thyme, stir for 1 minute then mix in the tomatoes, stock and chili flakes or hot paprika (if using) in a pan, season well with salt and pepper, stir and warm through. Put the potatoes and chicken on the top. Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes or till potatoes are cooked on medium heat, add more stock or water if needed. Scatter with the black olives, mix gently and cook for another 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Scatter with parsley and scallions per serving on each plate.
- OPTIONAL I served mine with a few Steamed French Beans on the side
Sorry, I am unable to give you nutritional value because I am not qualified to do so. If concerned about calories, cholesterol and fats.
You use less fat and the right type of oil to your cooking, it would lessen the cholesterol and reduce your salt which is what I do when it comes to cooking. I also prefer using Chicken Breast without the skin.
More on Cholesterol from Chicken and Pork
- The Cholesterol in Chicken and Pork | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Cholesterol is a fatty wax-like substance that is a structural component of cells, veins and arteries. You also need cholesterol to help produce certain types of hormones. All of the cholesterol you ...