Cornbread Recipe with Barley Flour - For Machines
Why Cornmeal Bread With Barley Flour?
Cormeal Bread is usually very soft and light as it is mainly white bread flour with the addition of the cornmeal. My recipe like a lot of cornmeal bread recipes also included the addition of an egg. The egg adds extra fat and a little sweetness so the recipe uses less of each of the ingredients that are used for this.
I found that the recipe I had for cornmeal bread tended to rise too much. It occurred to me that on the other hand the recipe for barley bread never rose enough. I thought about it for a while and then decided to combine the cornmeal and barley bread recipes to come up with a cornmeal and barley loaf. I had never heard of this but thought that the flavors would combine well. Boy was I ever right the combination is delicious and this recipe was born.
Cornmeal Bread with Barley Flour - Cook Time
Ingredients For Cornmeal Bread with Barley Flour
- 1.5 Cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, Could Use Soy, Flax or real Milk
- 1 Large Egg, Add to measure and then add Milk to make 1.5 cups
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Could use Canola oil or Butter if you prefer
- 2 Tbs Unpasteurized Liquid Honey, Could use sugar
- 2.5 Cups White Bread Flour, Or unbleached general purpose flour
- 1 Cup Barley Flour
- 1.5 Tsp Sea Salt, Or Kosher Salt
- 1.25 Tsp Bread Machine Yeast, Or Quick Rise / Instant Yeast
- 0.5 Cup Cornmeal, Bob's Red Mill is good
The Bread Machine I Actually Use
Some Bread makers may not yet have bought their machine; this is the one I use and highly recommend. To clean it just empty out the loaf once baked add a couple of drops of dish soap, then add warm water and let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Empty the water out remove the paddles (gently wiggle them back and forth until they self release) and rinse out any softened bread that was caught in the paddles. Dry with soft paper towel and replace in machine for next use.
This machine is consistently the best seller on Amazon or close to it and definitely is worth the extra in price. If you are not sure, read all of the reviews on all of the other machines first! I know you will return, and will not be disappointed.
Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker
- Add Milk to the bread pan first.
- Add the Olive Oil to the pan.
- Add the Liquid Honey. Tip:- Use the same measuring spoon you used for the oil the Honey will slip right off! You can also warm the Honey for approximately 15 secs in a micro Wave to make it easier to pour.
- Carefully add the White Flour. Level each Cup with a knife and spoon the flour into the cup so that it does not compact too much. You want to leave a mound in the center of the pan.
- Make an indent in the top of the White Flour, and carefully measure the salt, level each measuring spoon with your knife, before adding.
- Measure and add the Barley Flour over the salt and White Flour. Level with a knife as before.
- Make an indent in the Barley Flour then measure and add the Bread Machine Yeast.
- Measure the Cornmeal and add about half on each side of the yeast.
- Put the bread pan back into the machine, ensuring the yeast does not get wet yet.
- Set the machine to Basic Bread course or program and press start.
Nutritional Content Of The Cornbread
|Serving size: 1 Slice|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 19 g||6%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 202 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional Nutritional Data For The Cornmeal Bread
Rate This Recipe
Bread Machine Recipes For Canada and USA
The American and Canadian Flours are different, and probably this applies to other countries too, as a consequence you should always use a bread recipe for your native country. I am including Amazon links to the best books for US and Canadian citizens here.