Country Deer Meat & Gravy
Preparing the deer meat cube steaks has everything to do with how this recipe turns out. If there's a deer hunter in your family, they can tell which deer is going to taste well just depending on whether the meat has a wild, taste to it. This just means that the meat is stronger than what we are used to with our steaks. Get ready to get those crock pots ready, this recipe is great in the slow cooker.
Once you get your cubed deer meat, take a meat mallet and pound the steaks until they are 1/4-1/2" thick. Now ladies, take it easy, don't take out the aggression on the deer meat and the fact that your husband or boyfriend has just brought all of this meat home and you are expected to cook it. But, the steak will be less tough when pounded out to be really thin. Just remember: the meat is already dead. You are just trying to make these into minute steaks, not pound them to death. Ha! Ha!
I will take a dinner plate and combine some salt and flour on the plate and after I have prepared my cube steaks and then dredge them through the flour and salt mixture. After each cube steak has been evenly coated in the flour, put it in the oil for frying.
If you are not going to cook your deer meat, when the deer is first prepared, you can store it in just a little bit of salt. I would advise finding a recipe for storing deer meat.
I remember going to my in-laws and having deer meat for dinner several times. My favorite is the crock pot deer meat but, coming in a close second is, the deer cubed steak.
What to serve with cubed deer meat steaks..
This is truly one of those stick to your ribs recipes!! If you love deer meat or are limited to recipes, then this is a great one for you!
If you do not like deer meat or don't have that available to you then, this recipe can be used with beef cubed steak.
This recipe is so tasty, it doesn't matter what you use. Deer meat served as a cubed steak is my favorite way to eat deer meat. You can serve it with brown or white gravy. We usually do brown gravy if possible.
I remember my mom making this and we always had a big bowl of homemade mashed potatoes (then we would have the gravy from the meat to smother over our potatoes as well). Other sides might include, garlic bread and a salad or corn. This can turn out to be a great feast before you even know it.
In the fall, during hunting season, someone will kill a deer and there will be plenty of deer meat to go around for several meals. Different parts of the deer and it's meat will be used for different dishes.
Cream of Mushroom is Yummy!
Making the gravy tips..
To make a really good gravy leave some of the browned bits from the cube steak in the pan. This is a good base or starting point for the gravy.
Add some flour to the already warmed oil and browned bits. Constantly stir until this mixture is as brown as you like it. I add milk at this point, to my gravy and let the mixture come to simmer as it gets thicker if it's too thick, you can add some water to thin it some. When the gravy reaches your desired thickness, it's done.
The best part besides eating this recipe is when you put the meat back into the gravy and then add the can of cream of mushroom soup. This gives it a unique flavor.
Deer Meat Quality Chart
What you will need...
- 1 lb deer meat, made into, (cube steak)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- oil for fying
- flour for dredging
Knowing where cube steak comes from...
With the above listed diagram this makes it easy to see which part of the deer that this particularly tender meat comes from.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
|Serving size: 1/2 cup|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|Sodium 870 mg||36%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
What to do...
- Start by placing a small amount of oil in a large skillet and heat on medium to medium high heat. Sprinkle salt on the cube steak and then dip each side into the flour, making sure the steaks are coated well.
- Brown the steaks in the skillet. Let the steaks get brown on one side before turning them over to brown on the other side. (The less you move them around the greater chance that you have of keeping the flour batter on the steak). That will make the crusty outside.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on medium high heat and then remove them from the skillet. Pour off the extra grease (if there's an excess amount). If there's not an excess amount of grease, this can be used to make the gravy.
- Add enough flour to make a paste and brown this to your liking. **Hint** When you add the flour while making gravy, you have to constantly stir the flour mixture. Add enough water to thin out the paste and make the gravy as thick as desired. Bring the mixture to a simmer and keep stirring so that the gravy doesn't stick to the pan.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in a can of mushroom soup and place the meat back in the gravy. Stir the meat and gravy together. Cover the skillet and cook on low for five minutes to just reheat the meat. Serve warm and enjoy.
Deer Meat & Gravy
How To Process Deer Meat
Food and Recipes!
- Easy Tortellini Soup Recipe
This recipe hub is about making Tortellini Soup with ease. It has a ratings capsule, ingredients capsule as well as pictures, videos and commentary. Some of the ingredients are dried basil, minced garlic, onions, fresh mushrooms and parmesan cheese.
- Easy Snickers Cheesecake Recipe
This cheesecake is not for the faint at heart. It is a very rich decadent dessert. If you are looking to impress your friends by making cheesecake, then this one is a good one to try it out on. The prep time may take a little bit longer but, it is we
- Potato Corn Chowder Recipe
This soup is a hardy soup. With it's big chunks of potatoes and bits of corn, this is a very easy soup to make and it also freezes well. this hub has videos, pictures and commentary.
- Millionaire Pie Recipe
This is a great summertime pie. Great for those hot sticky days. With it's fruit and nuts, it is sure to please everyone. This is quite the family favorite. With pictures and commentary to read.
- Dominos Pizza Menu Review
Domino's serves Pizza, wings, cheesy bread, sandwiches, desserts and pasta. Their menu is reviewed along with pictures, you tube videos, a poll and commentary. They offer delivery and carry out.
Deer Meat Burgers on The Grill
Have You Ever Tried It?
Have you ever eaten deer meat before?
Preparing, Storing and Cooking Deer Meat
© 2013 Buster Johnson