Courgette Quiche Recipe: Easy Tasty Quiche Recipe With Homemade Pastry
Bake and Rate
No leaking with this flan dish
Easy use ceramic baking weights
For an easy and detailed step by step with pictures on how to make the pastry below please follow the link to 'Goats Cheese And Onion Chutney Tart'. I didn't want to repeat the steps here in case of duplicate content issues. I apologize for any inconvenience.
- 200 grams of plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 fresh egg, beaten
- 100 grams of butter cut into cubes
- Blitz the flour, butter and salt in a food processor to breadcrumb consistency.
- Add in the beaten egg and blitz to mix (don't overdo the blitzing or the pastry will be though).
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead into a smooth ball.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
The pastry can be made up to three days before, keep refrigerated.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ Gas mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and line a 22cm buttered flan dish.
- Trim the edges.
- Prick the base with a fork.
- Line the pastry with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 mins.
- Remove the parchment and the beans.
- Return to the oven for 5 to 7 minutes to cook the base.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and reduce the temperature to 160Cº/Gas mark 3.
Griddle the courgettes to get a lovely criss cross effect
- 1 medium or 2 small courgettes sliced into thin rings
- 1 onion finely diced
- 100 ml of olive oil
- 3 oz of Cheddar, grated
- 2 oz Parmesan, grated
- 200 ml of milk
- 4 fresh eggs, beaten
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to season
- Brush the courgettes with olive oil and griddle on both sides to get golden criss cross shapes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and fry the onions till translucent.
- Scatter the fried onion over the base of the pastry case.
- Arrange the courgettes in a circle into the middle of the pastry.
- Mix the eggs, milk, Cheddar, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour the mix over the courgettes.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes till golden and set.
The courgettes and onions can be prepared while the pastry chills.
Cast Your Vote
What pastry do you normally use?
Courgette and Flower
Grow your own courgettes
Easy vegetable slicing
Classic courgette cooking
A Little Courgette Info
- Courgettes or zucchinis as they are know in Italy and America are low in calories and contain folate, potassium, vitamin A and C.
- They are generally harvested during the summer months up to the end of September. Courgettes are very easy to grow and can grow very very big. Smaller courgettes tend to have more flavor although that is not always the case.
- The yellow flowers of the courgette vine are often used in fine dining. Tempura flowers are served as a garnish or as edible flowers in a salad dish. Larger flowers may be stuffed with a mixture of mincemeat or diced vegetables.
- The courgette is an under rated vegetable and is mostly used in ratatouille (a type of vegetable stew served as a side or main dish).
Two easy tasty recipes for courgettes:
- Slice the courgette into ribbons (a mandoline slicer works great).
- Simmer in salted water for a few minutes, remove the ribbons and drain.
- Heat a little butter in a pan, toss in the courgette ribbons coating them in the butter.
- Squeeze over a little fresh lemon juice, season and serve.
- Flour, egg, and breadcrumb thin rings of courgette.
- Deep fry in hot oil till crisp and golden.
- Remove the crisp corgettes with a slotted spoon.
- Place in a bowl lined with kitchen paper, sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
Hope you enjoy :)
© 2011 Gabriel Wilson