Couscous - A Basic Recipe with Seasoning
Have you tried this recipe?
Cook time: 10 min
Ready in: 10 min
Yields: 2 1/2 Cups
- 1 1/2 Cups Broth (Chicken, Vegetable or Beef)
- 1 Cup Couscous
- Seasonings of your choice
- Bring broth to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat, add couscous and seasonings. Mix well, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Remove from heat, add couscous and seasonings. Mix well, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
Try adding one of the following seasoning combinations
- Olive oil and pine nuts
- Powdered Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings
- Garlic powder and olive oil
- Curry powder
- Sun dried tomatoes and kalamata olives
- Sauteed and chopped garlic and shallots
|Serving size: 2/3 Cup |
|Calories ||176 |
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change
depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been
professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Interesting Facts About Couscous
- It is much more economical to purchase plain couscous and season it yourself than to buy the expensive pre-seasoned boxes.
- Couscous is more nutritious than pasta, containing twice as much riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and folate. It also contains four times as much thiamine and pantothenic acid.