How to Make a Creamy Garlic Sauce
A Simple Creamy Garlic Sauce Recipe
Pasta is a favorite at our house. Homemade creamy garlic sauce, pesto, and parma rosa are recipes I find myself making frequently. Most of these sauces are very easy to prepare and can be used for a variety of purposes.
My creamy garlic sauce recipe takes only a few minutes to make and requires only a handful of ingredients. I'll share the recipe here.
Tools and Ingredients
You'll need the following tools to prepare this recipe:
- a small saucepan
- a small whisk
- a cutting board and knife
You'll also need the following ingredients for the creamy garlic sauce:
- 4 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon tarragon leaves chopped, or
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
Putting It Together
- Mince the garlic gloves and finely chop the onion.
- Melt butter or margarine in small saucepan over low heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
- Add 1/3 cup chicken broth to the onion/garlic mixture and continue to heat on low. In a small cup, combine another 1/3 cup chicken broth with 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- Whisk thoroughly with a small whisk. Then gradually add to saucepan, whisking to combine.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and allow to thicken. This usually takes one to two minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup cream and tarragon. Allow to simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper as needed. If the sauce becomes too thick, add additional chicken broth (not cream).
Using Your Sauce
This sauce is great with pasta and complements a variety of cooked or sauteed vegetables. One of my favorite variations to the creamy garlic sauce is to add sun dried tomatoes. I buy them in a jar, and use 5 or 6 of them, rinsing well and chopping before incorporating them into the sauce.
If You Made This Recipe, Rate It
© 2010 Christine Mulberry