- Food and Cooking
Simply Delicious Creamy Lima Beans
This recipe for Simply Delicious Creamy Lima Beans uses Fordhook Lima Beans, the larger variety of what you may also know as a butter bean. When I feel really indulgent or, am preparing a holiday meal, I can't resist this decadent recipe. I love the buttery taste of Fordhook Lima beans but rarely have them unless it's a holiday. That makes this recipe even more of a treat.
The recipe is simple but gives Fordhook Lima beans a rich butteryness that makes you want to savor each bite. It is a perfect side dish for a holiday meal.
- 3 cups boiling water
- 4 cups fresh or frozen Fordhook lima beans
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 stick butter or low-fat margerine
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, (if desired)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cookware for the oven
- Add fresh or frozen Fordhook Limas to boiling water. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and let beans simmer for 20 minutes. Fresh beans may take a bit longer. Cook until beans are fork tender.
- Place sour cream and butter (or margarine) in a saucepan over low-to medium heat. Stir frequently until completely melted and blended.
- Drain beans well in a colander and when completely drained, place in a serving bowl.
- Pour sour cream and butter mixture over beans and mix well. Add salt and pepper and if desired, the red pepper flakes and stir until well blended.
- Add salt and pepper and if desired, the red pepper flakes and stir until well blended.
- Serve warm.
More Simply Delicious Recipes
- Simply Delicious Fresh Peach Cobbler
Summer brings delicious fresh peaches to the local farmer's market. This is a simply delicious fresh peach cobbler you can serve up with a touch of love. Your guests will love it.
Thinking about your waistline?
This recipe for Simply Delicious Creamy Lima beans has been adapted with the use of low-fat sour cream and low-fat butter or margarine. If you aren't concerned about your weight or fat intake, it can be made with regular sour cream and butter. Using the low-fat version is certainly healthier and does not compromise taste. Limas are packed full of protein and are a great source of fiber too.
More About Lima Beans
- junkyjoy: I "Hate" Lima Beans Wreath
If you don't like the taste of Lima Beans, why not make a beautiful Christmas wreath with them.
- Butter Beans - An All Star Protein Packed With Surprises
Let's hear it for the Butter Bean, also known as lima bean. One of the super health foods, it's packed full of nutritional value. Mouth watering recipes and how to grow your own instructions.