- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Creamy Smashed Cauliflower
Baked Creamy Smashed Cauliflower
A New Seasonal Favorite
Late springtime here in southern Florida has an abundance of inexpensive produce. Strawberries, corn, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli, to name a few. Recently in my local supermarket, Publix, they had broccoli and cauliflower on sale 2 for $4! I had just bought fresh broccoli the previous week so I went for the cauliflower this time. Cauliflower gets a bad rap sometimes, but it's an incredibly versatile vegetable. I first started to like it when I was much younger and I had it raw with dip. But as I grew older I discovered all the delicious ways I could cook it. This recipe came about because of my husband's need for a low carb veggie with dinner. I had made variations of this before but this week I simplified it with a new twist. I had discovered this new product put out by Philadelphia Cream Cheese called Philadelphia Cooking Creme. It comes in a few flavors but I love the creamy garlic flavor so I used that in this recipe. This is a simple recipe and when it's cooked you would swear it looks like mac & cheese! It does take a little time to prepare but it's mostly cutting up the ingredients. It's simple and tastes great! Even the kids will love it!
1 small-medium head cauliflower
3 scallions, roughly chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, cut in half
¼ cup light sour cream
¼ cup Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cooking Creme (Garlic flavor)
¼ cup fat-free half-and-half
¼ cup butter substitute
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut cauliflower into chunks and place in a microwave-safe container. Add a few tablespoons of water. Add the garlic and scallions to container. Cook on HIGH for 8 minutes, stirring after 4 minutes. Drain.
- In a food processor (this may need to be done in two parts if the food processor is not large enough) add the cauliflower, scallions and garlic. Pulse a few times to get it started.
- Add the cooking creme, sour cream, half-and-half and butter. Process until smooth. It may still be a little grainy but that is fine. There shouldn't be any big chunks. (unless you want them)
- Pour mixture into a shallow oven-proof casserole dish that is large enough to hold the mixture.
- Bake at 350º for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese to the top of the casserole and bake another 15 minutes until cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve hot! Careful because once you break through the cheese topping it will be steaming hot!