- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Creamy Spinach Soup
I'm so happy! We are in the midst of a beautiful Spring. The air is warm, the bugs are few, the garden is in full bloom, and Farmers Markets are once again beginning to open around our community. If you know where to go, you can find a market every day of the week.
One of the fresh produce items available right now is spinach.
Spinach. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Spinach is high in antioxidants. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C, E, K, and B2. But, wait, there's more--calcium, potassium, folic acid, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, selenium, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, and calcium. It's a nutritional gold mine.
You've probably done the spinach salad, spinach in place of lettuce on your sandwich, and spinach stirred into spaghetti sauce. If you're daring, you might have even tried spinach souffle. But what about spinach soup?
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- grated nutmeg, optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Pour in broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and continue to simmer until the greens are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender (in batches), leaving it a little chunky if desired. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids).
- Serve the soup garnished with nutmeg, if desired.
What Makes this Recipe Work?
- Everything is cooked in one pot which means
- You have just one pot to wash
- And (even more importantly) no nutrients are lost
- Spinach is available all year long
- Spinach is inexpensive
- Bagged spinach is convenient