Creamy-Style Southern Coleslaw Recipe: A Great Barbecue Side
In the South, you can't have pulled-pork barbecue without a killer slaw. This creamy-style Southern coleslaw recipe goes very well with barbecue and of course complements many other main dishes as well. Just last week we had it with fish steaks and grilled portabella mushroom caps.
Creamy-Style Southern Coleslaw Recipeserves four
- 1 medium-sized head green cabbage
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized carrot
- 1/2 medium-sized sweet onion
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Wash the vegetables.
2. Cut the vegetables. Using a very sharp knife, slice the cabbage and red bell pepper into long, very thin strips. Finely mince the onion. Grate the carrot.
3. Make the dressing. Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
4. Put it together. In a medium-sized serving bowl, place all of the vegetables. Pour the dressing over them, and mix well.
5. Cover and sit. Cover the slaw and let it sit in the fridge for at least one hour so that all of the flavors blend well.
6. Serve! After the slaw has chilled for at least an hour, serve it with an appropriate main course. Enjoy!