Kaltsounia for Easter - Greek Traditional Pastries
Kaltsounia - Kaltsunia
Kaltsunia are traditional Cretan pastries, baked for Easter by local population. There is actually no house in Crete that doesn't make these sweet pastries for Orthodox Easter.The recipe is based on local products and habits. Enjoy
Ingredients for filling
- 1kg mizithra
- 1 and 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3-4 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon vanillin
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon rose water
Ingredients for dough
- 1kg flour with baking powder
- 250g butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 and 1/5 cup sugar
- 1/5 cup milk
- 1/4 tablespoon vanillin
Prepare the filling
- Place mizithra in the bowl, add sugar, 3 eggs. Stir these ingredients well until you have yellowish cream-like mixture.
- Add ground cinnamon, ground cloves, vanillin and one tablespoon of rose water. Stir the filling well one more time.
Prepare the dough
- Mix the butter with eggs, add sugar, vanillin and milk.
- Once sugar is completely dissolved start adding the flour.
- Mash the dough with your hands and keep adding flour. At the end the dough must be soft and tender. If necessary you can add more flour but be careful do not overdo it.
- Shape the dough into phyllo 0.5cm and cut it into small squares as it shown in the picture.
- Add the filling in the middle of the square and close it as it shown in the picture. Place them one by one on the baking tray. (use baking paper or brush the tray with olive oil)
- Brush pastries with egg or milk and sprinkle with the sesame.
- Bake kaltsounia at 180C for 15 minutes.
|Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 40 mg||13%|
|Sodium 75 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Check out my other recipes and articles
- MOVIES - Greek Mythology Movies
Find out everything about greek mythology movies. They are interesting to watch and worthy to mention.
- Recipe - Rose Jam - Flowers
If you like flowers and especially roses this recipe will become your favorite. It feels like preparing fragrance and not the dessert due to aroma. The taste of roses in sugar is magnifique.
- Khashlama - Armenian Recipe
Bellow you can find an authentic armenian recipe of the dish called khashlama. The dish has been prepared by Armenians for centuries, since the Arch of Noah reached the mountain Ararat.
- Armenian recipe: Bread Matnakash
Armenian recipe for traditional bread called Matnakash. It was baked for many centuries by native Armenians. It is easily baked even in house conditions. You will be surprised how tasty and soft it is.