- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
Crisp Sweet Cucumber Pickle Recipe
Sweet Pickle Recipe
Many pickle recipes have been handed down through families and shared with others. I think this you'll enjoy this sweet pickle recipe. Follow the simple rules and you should end up with nice crisp crunchy pickles.
How to Get Crisp Pickles
1. Always use fresh, just picked cucumbers that are not overripe . If you let them sit around, your canned pickles may be soft.
2. When purchasing seed for planting your cucumbers, buy cucumber seeds that are intended for pickling or purchase pickling cucumbers at the store. This will give you much crisper results.
3. Cucumbers shouldn’t be over 2” wide.
4. Be sure to remove the ends. Leaving the blossom end on can cause a softer pickle.
5. Follow the recommended processing times. Be sure to check the link at the bottom since recommended times change all of the time. Higher temperatures and longer times will produce a softer pickle.
6. Pickles should be stored no longer than 1 year on pantry shelves. They should be stored in a cool dark place.
Sweet Crisp Cucumber Recipe
Crisp Cucumber Pickles (makes 8-10 pints)
½ gallon cider vinegar
1 box mixed pickling spices
2 cups lime
2 gallon water
1. Slice the cucumbers.
2. Dissolve the lime in the water. Place the cucumbers in this mixture and let soak for 24 hours.
3. Remove the cukes and wash an soak in clear water for 4 more hours, washing and soaking the cukes in fresh clear water every hour. Be careful while handling the cukes, since they will be quite crisp and you don’t want to break the slices. Don’t skip this step. It removes the lime.
4. Mix the vinegar, sugar and spices together and bring to a boil.
5. Drain the cukes and pour the hot mixture over them and leave overnight.
6. Bring to a boil 45 minutes.
7. Pack in jars and seal. Processing time is 30 minutes at 180 - 185 degrees.