Crispy Onion Fritters (Vegan, wheat, nut and soya free)
- Prep time: 50 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: 12 - 14 balls
- 675g onions, thinly sliced
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 90g gram or rice flour
- 1/2tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp coriander
- Your choice of oil for frying
- Place the sliced onions into a bowl. Add all of the salt and stir well to combine. Leave the mixture to stand for 45 minutes.
- Rinse the sliced onions in cold water. Drain off any excess moisture using a colander. Rinse out the bowl to remove any remaining salt.
- Place the onions back into the bowl and add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder. Mix well to distribute the spices throughout the onion slices.
- Finally add the flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix well to ensure the onions slices are coated. Using your hands roll the mixture into small balls.
- Place the oil in a deep pan or fryer and heat to 180 degrees (350F). The temperature of the oil can be tested by dropping a small cube of bread into the oil, it should brown within 45 seconds. Place the vegan onion fritters, a few at a time, into the oil using a spoon. Fry until they are golden brown in colour, turning if needed.
- After frying place the fritters on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil. Serve immediately.
Tips and Variations
1. White, red or even spring onions can be used to make these fritters. You could also combine different types of onion.
2. More chilli powder or some chopped fresh chillies to create a spicier fritter.
3. Make a herb dip to serve with the fritters by mixing 2tbsp of fresh mint or coriander into 1/2 cup of soya yoghurt.
4. Serve with onion fritters with a salad and wheat/dairy free pitta breads.
5. These onion fritters make great vegan and vegetarian buffet food.
© 2012 Claire