Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo-style Chicken Wings
We Love Buffalo Chicken Wings!
It's hard to imagine that the original Buffalo Chicken Wings didn't exist to most of the U.S. populace until the early 1980's.
According to the most well known story, the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY created a chicken wings recipe as starter snack. I'm so glad they did because it is one of my family's favorite starter snack, especially during football games. In our opinion, Wings also help make a pizza dinner complete.
Granted, the recipe below is not the original deep fried version, but it is the best oven fried wing recipe attempted.
Improvements to this recipe article are always a future possibility, so do save or Pin this page for reference.
Now for the recipe...
Well, after some important important recipe tips and fun teasers...
Or just skip down for the recipe because that's really the reason you're here, right?
Photographic images have either been taken by the author, or are shared by generous uploaders to Pixabay.com via Creative Commons.These images may have been updated as allowed for a Pin ready announcement page.
Time to Cook Chicken Wings
First a Question...
Have You Ever had Chicken Wings Cooked at Home?
Don't Forget Celery Sticks and Carrots, because Diet Science Concludes...
1 celery stick or carrot negates the calories of 1 chicken wing.
We are Not Using a Deep Fat Fryer, so...
We need to use specially selected ingredients to give these wings the desired crispness and flavor.
- Crispness The use of a baking powder substitution consisting of a mixture of cream of tartar, baking soda, and corn starch uses a reaction to lend a wonderful and surprising crispness to these wings. Baking powder by itself is used in some baked wing recipes, but I am one of those people who has a palate that finds the aluminum sulfate tastes very bitter.
- Flavor Since deep frying also intensifies flavoring, the additions of onion and garlic powders helps to give this recipe that added flavor without a tremendous amount of calories.
Before We Start Cooking, I must Confess...
This recipe uses bottled Original Anchor Bar Wing sauce.
Part of the reason for this is convenience.
The other is truly great flavor. The addition of melted butter is the closest thing to our favorite bar wings. Without butter, it just isn't the same. The original recipe of just a hot sauce like Frank's Red Hot Original sauce with butter no longer satisfies us like it once did.
How Do You Like Your Chicken Wings?
How Spicy. Or what Flavor?
Buffalo Hot Wings Serving Suggestion
Chicken Wing Recipe - Preparation and Cook Time
Chicken Wing Ingredients
- 12 wing parts, defrosted if frozen
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon flour
Buffalo Wing Sauce (Double if Buffalo dipping sauce is desired):
- 1\4 cup Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce, flavor of your choice - we like mild
- 5 tablespoons butter (salt free), melted
Serving Suggestion Options:
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing, per person
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing, per person
- 2 stalks celery, cut into sticks
- 8-12 baby-cut carrots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Pat dry wing portions
- Place all dry ingredients in large plastic bag or bowl
- Place chicken in bag or bowl
- Seal bag and shake until coated ~ or if using bowl, stir chicken and ingredients until coated
- Lay chicken parts on cookie sheet pan (optional: cover pan with parchment or foil for easy cleanup)
- Oven bake for 1 hour, turning every 20 minutes, checking for doneness of 165 degrees by thermometer. Some of the smaller flats may be done sooner. ~ or ~
- Air fryer cook for 48 minutes, turning every 16 minutes, checking for doneness at 165 degrees by thermometer. Some if the smaller flats may be done sooner.
- Immediately turn wings into bowl, pour in sauce and butter mixture, seal, and shake to coat, holding lid tightly.
- Serve with celery sticks, and blue cheese/ranch dressing, as desired.
Please Rate this Recipe
Like Your Traditional Wing Sauce even Spicier?
This recipe can be easily adjusted to any taste.
If you want more than mild, choices include medium, hot, or the outrageously super hot sauces are now readily available
~ and/or ~
Decrease the amount of butter down to 1-2 tablespoons to keep your favorite flavor, but increase the heat.
Don't Forget Celery Sticks and Carrots, because...
Last Poll Question. Which Do You Like Better?
Choose Your Favorite Wing Parts?
Need a Cooking Time Conversion Tool for Oven to Air Fryer Recipes?
- Air Fryer Cooking Times Calculator - Convert Oven Recipes to Air Fryer
Air fryer temperature conversion made easy: automatically convert any recipe to an air fryer recipe.
© 2019 Beth Webster-Duerr