- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Crispy Tilapia Fillets - a Great Fish Recipe
A great Fried Tilapia Recipe
I received an email a friend who really loved the spicy flavors they got when eating the filets prepared with this simple recipe and they thought we would like it also.
We tried it, and I must admit that it does have a really good and distinct taste, whether it is served as an entrée, or even when eaten on a sandwich.
The Health conscious among us already know about the benefits of eating fish and although this recipe is for a fried dish, it still provides the healthy attributes from eating fish.
And, depending on the level of Fats in foods, it can provide significant levels of Omega-3’s, and Protein. Because of this, most varieties of Fish can be helpful in lowering the risk of Heart Disease.
Tilapia is a generic name for over a hundred varieties of fish that thrive in fresh and brackish waters around the world.
Because this fish tends to grow fast and can grow to large sizes they are popular with the fish farming industry.
Tilapia has become very popular as a cheap, mild flavored fish, sold in the supermarkets of America.
Rate this Recipe for me.
- 4 6-ounce Tilapia Fillets
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 tbs. Mustard, Spicy
- 1 tsp. Hot Sauce, I prefer Cholula
- 1/2 tsp. Basil, minced
- 2 tbs. Flour, All-Purpose
- 2 to 3 tbs. Canola Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 14 to 16 Saltine Crackers, Low Fat
- Crack and mix the Eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the Mustard, Basil and Hot Sauce together in the bowl with the Eggs and blend together well.
- Place the Saltines into a plastic or paper bag and crush until fine the crumbs have a fine consistency.
- While still in the bag, add the Flour, Salt and Pepper, and shake until well blended, then spread the mixture onto a medium plate.
- Place the Canola Oil into a large saucepan and heat it (medium to high Heat) until the surface of the oil shimmers.
- Place the Tilapia fillets, one at a time, into the flour mixture (both sides), then the Eggs, then the flour again.
- Then place the breaded fillets carefully into the Oil.
- Cook each fillet for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes on each side, keeping the Oil hot throughout.
- Remove the fillets when done and place onto a paper towel to remove any residual Oil.
- SERVE HOT
Nutritional Content for Crispy Tilapia Fillet
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 49 g||98%|
|Cholesterol 203 mg||68%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional TILAPIA Preparation Notes
NOTE: This recipe is just a little Spicy, but the flavors really add to the mildness of the Tilapia.
NOTE: If you are serving the fish on a Sub sandwich, mix a little Mayonnaise (Low-Fat) and Mustard together for a condiment.
I usually add a fresh green such as Lettuce, Sliced Tomatoes, and a few rings of Red Onion to round it off.
NOTE: Sometimes a little Cheese such as Provolone or Swiss, adds to the flavor of the sandwich, if it is at least partially melted on the Fillets.
How to bread and fry fish
Healthy Take on Fish and Chips
© 2011 Don Bobbitt