- Food and Cooking
Crock Pot Cleaning is Easy With Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners
My 20 year old crock pot had begun to chip and I was afraid to use it anymore, so I was happy when my husband bought me a new one which was larger, had an oval shape and a removable pot for ease of cleaning. Hubby was proud of himself because he bought it at a 50% discount, but the item I ended up liking the most was something he bought because of the sales clerk's recommendation: a box of Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners.
However, when I first saw the claims on the outside of the box, I was skeptical. I was also concerned about safety. I asked my husband questions like:
"Will they burn or catch fire if I set the cooker on high?"
" Are they made of plastic that contains BPA?"
"Will they tear when I remove them?"
"You worry too much," he answered. "Just throw one in the pot next time and see how it works. If you don't like it I won't buy anymore."
What he said made sense, of course, but the nurse in me wanted to do some research on the above issues before trying it out, and even if the answers were satisfactory I wanted to be home the first time I used one of the bags reasoning that I'd smell it if it did start to burn.
Getting Answers to My Questions Was Easy
I logged onto the Reynolds website and got answers to my questions in the Q & A section. This is what I learned:
- The bags do not contain BPA and are approved by FDA for cooking.
- They can safely be used on either high or low settings as long as the bag is used according to the manufacturer's directions.
- They will not stick to the pot if used correctly.
- The bags do not affect slow cooker performance, nor change the taste of the food.
Proper Placement of Bag
Manufacturer's Directions are Easy to Follow
There are just 4 simple steps to follow:
- Open the liner and then fit it snugly against the bottom and sides of the slow cooker pot. Be sure to pull the top of the liner over the rim of the pot. It should hang loosely over the edge and MUST NOT be trapped under the rim.
- Add ingredients to the slow cooker then turn it on and place the lid on it as you normally would do. Set the cooker on high or low depending what your recipe calls for then proceed to follow recipe directions until your meal is done.
- Remove lid carefully to avoid burns from the steam, then serve the meal directly from the slow cooker while the liner is still in place. DO NOT lift or carry the liner with food inside it as burns could result. The first time I used a liner, I made soup and used a ladle to serve it and to put leftovers into a Tupperware container.
- Allow the slow cooker to cool completely, then remove the liner and throw it away. I was thrilled that the inside of the pot was spotless after my first use of the liner.
Availability & Cost of Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners
The product is available in most supermarkets, Targets, Walmart and online. Price varies quite a bit depending on where you purchase, whether you have a coupon and the number of bags you are buying.
The box usually contains 4 bags, though some boxes give you a bonus of 2 additional bags.
My experience has been that it's about $3.99 for a box that contains 4 liners. You can easily get online coupons that can be used in any store, but I would recommend that you avoid purchasing the bags online unless the shipping is free.
Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners
My Rating of Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners
I gave Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners a 5 star rating for ease of use and because they performed as well as the manufacturer claimed they would. I used to dread cleaning my old slow cooker, especially after making something sticky like baked beans, but now I'm done cleaning in just a few seconds!
I also love the fact that the you can use a slow cooker liner to get everything ready the night before cooking. Just add all the recipe ingredients, place the pot in the refrigerator overnight, remove it the next morning and then put the pot back into the cooker.
The one draw back is that once the food is cooked, you can not store it in the slow cooker liner, but that's a minor point considering that you've got no mess to clean up!
I'm interested in your own opinion about Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners. Please leave a comment and/or a rating if you've used them or if this review has convinced you to try them.
Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner Poll
Have you ever used a Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner?
Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners Quiz
view quiz statistics