- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
About the Soup
This is my absolute favorite soup recipie. It can be entirely made in your crockpot. It does take a little while to make but once it's made it is so good you forget about how long it takes.
This soup is great for a party or just if you want something really tasty to eat for a few days. This soup stays good at least 3 days in the fridge. I can make this soup stretch for 3 days between 2 people eating it twice a day. Eventhough the ingredient list is a bit long, because it lasts so long, it is really cost effective.
Ingredients and Tools
- Crock pot
- Can opener
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can chicken broth (if needed)
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Cilantro and lime
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 5-6 small Mushrooms (optional) Button or Portabello
- 1/2 large Onion (yellow or white)
- 2 Tbsp of Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp of Adobo
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 -1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Handful of minced fresh Cilantro
- Take 1 whole chicken and place it in your crock pot, cover with water.
- Add 1 Tbsp of Garlic, 1 Tbsp Adobo and 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Cook about 8-16 hours until the Chicken falls off the bone.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and strain the broth.
- Add the broth back to the crock pot.
- De-bone the chicken and add chicken to the crock pot (use at least 1/2 the chicken)-
- If there's not enough broth please add the 1 16oz. can of chicken broth.
- Drain 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes and add them to the broth.
- Dice the peppers, mushrooms, and onions and add them to the broth.
- Add all of the dry spices (Do not add the cilantro)
- Cook for another 4 hours.
- Add the fresh cilantro and stir.
- Serve with Tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
This soup is awesome! It's pretty cheap to make and it lasts a long time. It's perfect when it's cold outside and you want something comforting and warm. It's pretty easy to make, however it does take a long time. I think it is a soup that is worth the wait.