Cucumber Smoked Salmon Appetizer
Light Seafood Appetizer
Healthy Seafood Appetizer
This is a very easy to make and healthy appetizer that can be combined in less than 15 minutes if you already have all the ingredients. If you fish and smoke your own catch then, you already have the most expensive part of this specific dish, if not you will want to go to your local fish smoke shop and pick up a slab of smoked salmon or tuna loin. We also enjoy smoking oysters and they are perfect for this hors d'oeuvre as well.
The perfect appetizer should be small enough to be eaten in two bites and by using the cucumber slices, this is easily achieved with this treat. No one wants to be munching on a huge piece of food when nibbling and enjoying a conversation with friends and family. These are light and healthy. Many similar appetizers will call for using regular cream cheese or making a cheese mixture that incorporates other heavy ingredients such as cream, which is tasty, but not the right solution when serving a dish to a health conscious crowd.
- Prep time: 15 hours
- Ready in: 15 hours
- Yields: A platter for 4 - 6 people 3 - 4 pieces per person
- 1 Cucumber sliced, Peel for aesthetics
- 1 Salmon Strip or Partial Tuna Loin, Sliced into bite size chunks
- 3 Wedges Laughing Cow Cheese
Assemble the Ingredients
Rate This Recipe
Making a Smoked Fish AppetizerClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Wash and dry the cucumber. Peel if desired, alternating peeled and unpeeled sections make a visually appealing design.
- Slice the cucumbers into discs. It is best to make sure that they are about 1/8" to 1/4" thick, too thin and they do not stay firm and bend when picked up.
- Open the package of Laughing Cow cheese and open up two wedges. About two wedges should be enough to fill up an entire cucumber worth of slices.
- Slice the smoked salmon or smoked tuna into bite size chunks.
- Take one slice of cucumber and spread a small portion of cheese on the cucumber slice. Repeat until you have a plate full that is ready for the final topping.
- Place a bite size portion of the fish onto the top of each little cheese covered cucumber plate.
- Serve on a appetizer plate with either small plates for your guests or just appetizer napkins as these are perfect for easy eating.
1. Simply slice the cucumber, place a piece of smoked salmon on the cucumber slice and sprinkle a little fresh diced chives on top.
2. Mix a package of cream cheese with 2 tbsp of butter, make sure that they are at a room temperature state or they will not mix well. Add in salt and pepper to taste and two heaping tablespoons worth of fresh dill into the mixture. Place on the cucumber slices and add a piece of smoked fish on top.
3. If you have access to fresh smoked salmon bones then you already know what little bit of heaven this meat can be. It is best when used in dishes that allow you to mix the salmon into since the meat is very flaky and already shredded into small pieces. Use a 1/2 cup of sour cream, chop a garlic clove, and add 1 tbsp of mint that is chopped, 1 tbsp of chopped dill, 1 tbsp of lime juice and a little salt and pepper and mix altogether well. Place a spoonful of the mixture on top of the cucumber disc, or make bigger cuts of cucumber about 1" thick and hollow out part of the middle and stuff them with the mixture.
4. Cut a thin round of a baguette and lightly toast them with olive oil in the oven. Add a disc of cucumber and place on top a nice piece of smoked fish. Garnish with a little chopped dill.