Creamy Cucumber Soup from Cross Creek Cookery
Creamy Cucumber Soup is most officially known as Chef Huston's Cucumber Soup.
Marjorie is best known for her novel, The Yearling, which is a detailed description of a young boy's coming of age through living the harsh realities of life. It is a story for all time.
When I came across this recipe, I will admit I had my doubts. Cucumbers are a favorite of mine but I could not imagine how it could possibly be a soup that I would like. If I try a recipe and am not happy with the flavor or the way it turns out, I do not publish it.
However, since Marjorie had allowed as how it was creamy and full of flavor, I forged ahead.
And, much to my surprise, it is as creamy and delightful as she promised.
More articles of interest
Meet Zora Neale Hurston and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings two Florida authors.
Marjorie loved to cook.
Marjorie moved to Cross Creek in Alachua County, Florida, and fell in love with the serenity of it all. She became immersed in this pastoral setting. She learned of the hard work tending her home place and orange groves could be. Her adventures also included learning to know her neighbors and trying to understand them.
She loved to cook and entertain often preparing with the help of Idella her maid and Martha another helper on her place sumptuous meals. This is the second recipe I have chosen from her cookbook.
- 1 medium cucumber, grated, thick grating side of grater
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons unbromated, unbleached flour
- 2 cups whole or 2 percent milk, hot
- salt and pepper to taste
A Variation .. Cold Soup with Avocado...How Can We NOT Love This?
Butter Melting in Skillet
Cross Creek Cookery ---Many Intriguing Recipes
Reasons to Add Cucumbers to Your Diet
- help to keep you hydrated
- are full of vitamins
- help with elimination of toxic substances in your body
- may help stave off some types of cancer
- help with puffy areas under the eyes
- can help relieve sunburn discomfort (grate and apply to affected areas)
- are a great snack, anytime
- Preheat skillet to medium and add butter so it can begin to melt.
- Add grated cucumber and let it cook till the butter and juice from cucumber are bubbly ,,,about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir a few times to release bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add flour and stir. Add hot milk. Stir well. Reduce heat to simmer and let cook till smooth and bubbly stirring often.
- Serve hot. Serve with a dollop of whipped Greek cream cheese or sour cream. Serve cold freshly sliced cucumbers slices along with it.
Cucumber with Some Skin Peeled off to Make Slices to Serve with Soup
|Serving size: 1/2 cup|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Carbohydrates 5 g||2%|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
soup with a dollop or two of whipped Greek cream cheese
© 2013 Patricia Scott