How to Make the Best Cucumber in White Sauce
Cucumbers come in a great variety but for this recipe I used the wellknown long slicing cucumbers.
They are best known for their refreshing taste in all kinds of summer salads because they're actually summer vegetables (scientists will call them fruits). However with today's international trade we can eat them the whole year round. They're nutricious and healthy.
It's one of my favorite vegetable dishes.
For the cucumbers:
- 3 slicing cucumbers
- dash of salt, to your taste
For the white sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flower, or more or less
- dash of white pepper, fresly grounded
- left over cucumber broth, if needed add water
Instructions for Cooking the Cucumbers
- Peel the cucumbers
- Cut them in 4 and remove most of the seeds
- Cut them in 2" parts
- Put them in a pan
- Add water until they're just under and add some salt
- Cook them for about 20 minutes until they're a bit soft, but not too soft.
- When cooked pour them through a strainer but make sure you save the broth.
- Put the cucumber parts aside.
Instructions for Making the White Sauce
Normally a white sauce is made from stock of chicken or fish, but in this case we're using the leftover cucumber broth. Step by step instructions:
- Melt the butter in a stainless steel pot or pan over a medium heat.
- Add the flour, stir it with a wooden spoon and cook it until you get a blanc roux.
Make sure you stay on medium heat or the roux will turn brownish which is not bad but you want a blanc/white roux.
- Add the leftover broth and stir it firmly with a whisk to get rid of the lumps. Keep adding broth or if there's not enough left, add warm water until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add some salt and pepper to your taste and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes. Keep stirring so it won't get stuck to the bottom of your pan.
- Add the cucumber parts and let them simmer for about another 5 minutes.
- Put it all in a dish and serve while still hot.
How to Serve Boiled Cucumbers in White Sauce
This recipe goes very well with all kinds of potatoes: boiled, mashed or baked. It also goes very well with all kinds of meat or fish.
You can either use it as a main dish or as a side dish, your choice.
Have you ever eaten boiled cucumbers?
© 2019 Titia Geertman