- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Baking Cupcakes Without a Cupcake Pan
Cupcakes on a quiet afternoon sounds like the perfect dessert, doesn't it? I thought so, too and so did the untouched 90 count cupcake liners in my cabinet. On a whim, I went out into the rain and bought a box of Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix since it was super cheap. I ran home and got into a serious Rachel Ray mode. However, I soon came to realize that I was missing an important element... a cupcake pan.
I had enough batter to make 24 cupcakes! So, I cleared out my pantry and only found a six-count cupcake pan. Of course, that's not going to work!
Going Forward Without a Cupcake Pan
I had no choice but to make these cupcakes without a cupcake pan. So, here’s what I did:
- I grabbed my paper liners and set them into a square-baking pan.
- I used a tablespoon and put a dollop of batter into each liner.
- Then, I set the liners into the pan close together. I figured this would help them have some sort of shape. I was able to squeeze 12 into the pan ( 3 across, 4 down).
- I had about half a bowl of batter left. So, I grabbed the cupcake pan that holds six and filled them with the remaining batter. I set it to bake according the instructions on the box.
And, voila... a pan of 12 SQUARE-ish cupcakes and a pan of 6 monster cupcakes. (See Below)
In the End of It All ...
They were delicious! So, if you ever find yourself in the same mess, just make some square (or trapezoid) shaped cupcakes. I've now learned that cupcakes always taste yummy regardless of the shape!
© 2012 mzindependent