Custard-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes - Recipe with Pictures
I'm all about healthy eating, but breaking the rules once in a while just makes life a little sweeter to live. If most health-conscious individuals consider eating sweets a sin, these custard-filled chocolate cupcakes are a joyful sin worth tasting. I hope you'll love the harmonious conjunction between bitter-sweet chocolate cake and velvety vanilla custard with a hint of lime zest. Now put on your apron. Bring out your mixer and measuring cups. Let's start baking, shall we?
Please Rate this Cupcake Recipe
Prep and Cook Time
- 3.4-oz packet of instant vanilla pudding/pie filling mix
- 2 cups milk, either whole or low-fat
- 3/4 cup butter or non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 4 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lime zest
How to Make Custard-Filled Chocolate Cupcakes from Scratch
- Whisk vanilla pudding mix and milk together in a bowl until the mixture turns into a soft pudding (about 3 - 5 minutes). Stir in lime zest. Set aside. (You will actually need only half of this pudding for the cupcake filling. You may save the other half for mini pies, cookie sandwiches, or enjoy it on its own.)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter (or margarine) and sugar until smooth.
- Add lightly-beaten eggs and vanilla extract. Mix together until combined.
- In another bowl, add cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir together well with a whisk.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, then beat together until smooth. (If you use an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 - 3 minutes.)
- Line your muffin tins with baking cups.
- Fill about 2/3 of each cup with your chocolate cupcake mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (Keep in mind that every oven is different. Your oven might be hotter or less hot than mine. Therefore, baking time may vary.)
- Remove your chocolate cupcakes from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Use a paring knife to cut a small cone out of each cupcake. Be sure not to cut it all the way through the bottom. Cut the tip off the cone and save the cap.
- Fill the cavities with the vanilla pudding you have prepared earlier.
- Put the "caps" back onto the cupcakes. Decorate with vanilla frosting (recipe follows) and chocolate sprinkles (optional).
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting - Super Easy
Ingredients - 1 cup cream cheese (softened), 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preparation - Beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar until light, creamy and smooth. Add milk and vanilla extract, and continue to beat until nicely combined.
Calorie and Nutrition Info
|Serving size: 1 cupcake without frosting|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 55 mg||18%|
|Sodium 156 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
***This nutrition information is based on the above recipe, using 2% reduced fat milk and non-hydrogenated margarine. If you use whole milk and butter, the calorie and nutrition counts will be different.***
Want to Tweak this Cupcake Recipe? Here are some Ideas!
- Turn them into "chocolate mud" cupcakes by filling them with chocolate pudding instead of vanilla pudding.
- Fill your cupcakes with mini marshmallows. Kids will go crazy for them!
- Instead of using cream cheese frosting, simply glaze your cupcakes with chocolate ganache.
- Like mocha? Go ahead and add about 2 teaspoons of espresso powder to your chocolate cake mix.
- To make these chocolate cupcakes taste a little more "mature," substitute Baileys Irish Cream for milk in the frosting.
- To give the cupcakes some heat, add about 1 - 2 teaspoons of finely minced ginger to the vanilla filling.