New York City Day Trip Restaurant Review: Delicatessen, an Eclectic Eatery!
The place is DELICATESSEN (54 Prince St., Ph. 212-226-0211)
On your next day trip take in the ambiance of New York City and fall into a beautiful find in So-Ho check out Delicatessen.
This retro garage motif with contemporary comfort food provides such a fantastic experience. As a lover of the city and regular visitor, choosing an itinerary for a day trip to NYC can be daunting. There are many choices, choosing DELICATESSEN for our late lunch date, is by far one of the best decisions made on a trip to the apple.
Retro Elegance in So-Ho
Delicatessen welcomes you in with its beautiful aromas and its relaxing neighborhood feel. The retro type atmosphere combines with an old traditional space allowing you to feel the elegance and diversity of living in the City. When choosing a spot for cuisine, many fanciful options of Mac & Cheese, are enticing.
The menu in no way disappoints and the choices of delectable comfort foods created a mind-boggling effect, leaving an eagerness to come again to try more delightful dishes.
- Our party chose a sampling of the appetizers, then followed by multiple dishes of the infamous Mac &Cheeses (each different so that we could share), with a lovely salad to ease our guilt as one loads the carbohydrates for the day.
- The pricing reasonable providing adherence to our budget. So much food, and we were not at all rushed to enjoy it.
- Delicatessen allotted an escape from the everyday reality. The upper-level dining area had various sized tables and large garage doors with huge windows creating a picture show to the business going on outside. On the lower level was a gorgeous lounge space provided by a skylight type roof, reminiscent of the old Tenement buildings.
- The lounge was modern with green comfy couches that drew your eye into this beautiful space and; it was pulling you into its peaceful enclosure. There was a fantastic space resting below the openness of the old brick tenement-like building that circled the space above the lounge and mini bar.
- The artistic area on the lower level of the restaurant was one you could imagine yourself relaxing the night away. In this space old meets new trendy with plenty of room and exquisite eclectic décor that could take you back to the days of old.
- The staff in the dining area were so relaxed and yet attentive making you feel like a regular and also special at the same time. Their passion displayed as they share stories of this eclectic environment. Stating how beautiful it is in the night light, and how a young couple got engaged in a quiet corner to the left of where we were sitting.
- Being from outside of the city yet living in a nearby State, one can appreciate the closeness to the film and theater school, and the many unique and fascinating shops in this immediate area.
One must even give credence to the fact that some of the bohemian type patrons may have been actors and or at least in the industry. This crowd was quite diverse and it was just pleasing to be among the grouping. Tastes and smells of the fresh ingredients along with the clean lines of the tables and spotless glassware made the place pop with a crispness all its own.
- A menu of Mac and Cheese along with a variety of comfort food masterpieces was in a word, delightful. Mac & Cheese, with a twist of Asian, Margarita, Four Cheese and various others, cultivate a curiosity that is a marketing strategy in its own right.
- The additional Comfort Foods such as meatloaf, enormous charbroiled burgers and French fries presented in a cute silver pail, shots of soup with bite-size grilled cheese sandwiches, just to name a few and the list of yummy options goes on and on.
The presentation of the food with Mac & Cheese delivered to your table in a single size cast iron skillet while resting on its own cutting board is genius and fun. So much is right about this place and it takes you on a little adventure, one you will want to experience again and again.
Check it out
DELICATESSEN restaurant has an elegant and yet lounge like ambiance. You find yourself walking the shops in the Soho area and then purposely come upon this little gem in the City. They recommend a reservation, as this little Hot Spot is quite popular among the locals and the visitors alike.
The Place is DELICATESSEN, and it is very worth a visit on your next outing to NYC.
© 2012 Kathy Henderson