DM's: How To Boil Eggs
When learning to cook, boiled eggs are a good place to start. A boiled egg is really simple to make and provide an amazing start for numerous dishes. A boiled egg can be used in salads, made into deviled eggs, or even pickled to make pickled eggs. The only ingredients necessary to make boiled eggs is water and eggs. Of course, other ingredients can be used but this is all that is necessary. Just follow the instructions here to make boiled eggs.
How Long Does It Take?
What Do I Need
- Room Temperature Water
- Eggs, These should not be fresh. Use eggs that are 5 days to 1 week old.
- Ice Water
How Do I ACTUALLY Cook Them
- Place eggs in to saucepan or pot in a single layer.
- Cover eggs with water. Make sure water is approximately 1 inch above the highest egg.
- Place pot or pan over burner at high heat. Bring water to a boil.
- Once water begins to boil remove from heat source and cover tightly.
- Allow the eggs to steam cook for approximately 17 minutes.
- Remove eggs from hot water and place in icy cold water.
- Let eggs cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove, peel, and serve as desired.
Do They Fit Into My Diet
|Serving size: 1 Large Egg|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 187 mg||62%|
|Sodium 62 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Extra Advice, FREE of Charge
1. Check eggs before buying and before cooking. If an egg has a crack, the white may leak out during the boiling process and lead to a mess.
2. Many people add salt to the water. Others say that this causes the egg whites to turn rubbery.
3. Using freshly laid eggs will make the peeling process much harder. It is best to wait until the egg has matured. To check the maturity of an egg place the egg into a bowl of water. If it lies flat it is still too fresh. If it stands on one end, it is mature enough to boil. If it floats in the water it should be discarded as it is too old.
4. To keep eggs from cracking during the boiling process, make eggs room temperature before placing them into water. If the water and the eggs are approximately the same temperature before the heating process begins, the eggs and water will heat at the same rate. This means that the temperature inside the egg and outside the egg will be the same.
5. A soft-boiled egg has a cooked white and runny yellow. To cook one this way, only boil the eggs for 4 minutes (large eggs).
6. A medium-boiled egg has a cooked white and a jello like yellow. To cook one this way, boil the egg for about 6-10 minutes.
7. A hard-boiled egg has a cooked white and a cooked yellow. To cook one this way, boil the eggs the said 17 minutes.
8. If too much water is used in the pot then the water will take longer to boil. This will cause the eggs to overcook.
9. If too little water is used then the eggs will be left exposed and the eggs will be left undercooked.
10. If too many eggs are placed in the pot or pan then the eggs will cook unevenly.
11. Once the eggs have cooked for the required amount of time remove them from the warm water and place directly into the ice water. This is for two reasons. The first is to stop the cooking process. If left in the warm water, or simply left in its warm shell, the eggs will continue to cook and become overcooked. The second is that removing the eggs directly from the warm water and placing them directly into cold water causes a layer of steam to build between the eggshell and egg white. This steam creates an air barrier making it easier to peel the shell from the white.
12. If making deviled eggs, lay the eggs on their side for a few hours or a day to cause the yolk to center itself. This will leave you with great looking whites for your deviled eggs.
Fun Way To Peel Eggs
Skipping the Annoying Peel Process
One of the most annoying parts of making boiled eggs is, as Tim Ferriss says, the peeling. This video shows how to remove an eggshell in as little as 5 seconds with nothing but a quick burst of air.