- Food and Cooking»
- Food For Kids
Dad's Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe
There is nothing quite like made from scratch mac and cheese. This recipe is, hands down, the BEST macaroni and cheese recipe. My Dad has been making this since I was a kid, and I just had to share it. For some reason I can never get mine to taste like my dad's even when I follow his exact recipe. Dad's always just tastes better!
- 1 Pound Noodles, I like shells or twists to hold on to the cheese!
- 1/2 Pound Medium Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1/2 Pound Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1/2 Stick of Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- Splash Milk
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
As you can tell from the ingredients, this is not a light, diet, or heart friendly dish! This is good ole melt in your mouth, clog your arteries deliciousness! You can make it a bit healthier by using wheat pasta, vegan butter and low-fat cheese, but it just doesn't taste the same.
- Put large pot of water on to boil
- Shred or dice medium and sharp cheddar cheeses. I don't recommend preshredded cheese - it really doesn't taste the same. I think it might be the powder added to keep the cheese from clumping.
- Once your noodles are cooked, turn off the stove burner and drain the noodles. Return noodles to pot on the same burner (this part is important - it helps the cheese melt better)
- Add butter and slowly add shredded cheese. Stir constantly
- As the cheese starts to melt add sour cream and butter.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- For creamier mac and cheese add more sour cream and butter. For a smoother texture add another splash of milk.
Taste Test Time!
Be careful with sour cream, if you add too much it can easily take over! If it tastes a bit bland, more salt and pepper.If you like other cheeses, feel free to add them in. Feta and Parmesan work well.
Other yummy additions include bacon, diced tomatoes, hot dogs, or sausage.
If you like my dad's mac and cheese recipe, you should check out his amazing home made mashed potatoes recipe!