- Food and Cooking
Dal Makhani (Ma Ki Dal) - A Yummy Dal Recipe
Dal Makhani is an enormously popular dish in North India but its fame has translated to the rest of the country as well. One of the most wanted dishes on restaurant menus, its also popular on special occasions such as marraiges and parties.
Rich in butter and cream, this dish is high in calories and could be heavy on the stomach, but eaten in moderation, this dish is simply mindblowing. It is also rich in protein and fiber.
Some people prefer, which is also the case in a lot of restaurants, to cook the dal on a slow flame overnight which enhances the taste of the cooked dal and gives a rich thickness to the dal. This is also done on a chulha (or earther/brick stove) fueled with charcoal which infuses an aromatic flavor into the dal.
- 1 cup black gram (whole urad dal)
- 1/2 cup rajma (red beans)
- 3 medium sized onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 green chilies
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp of finely cut coriander leaves
- 1 tsp whole garam masala (cardamom, cloves and cinnamon)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- Salt (according to taste)
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 lemon
1. Soak the black gram (whole urad dal) and red beans (rajma) overnight (6-8 hours).
2. Cut 2 onions, tomatoes and chilies finely.
3. Cut 1 onion into rings, cucumber into slices and lemon into wedges for the garnishing.
Instructions for Cooking
1. Put the whole urad dal and rajma in the pressure cooker in 4 cups of water, with little salt and turmeric - pressure cook this for 25 minutes or 7/8 whistles till the dal gets tender.
2. Take a pan, put oil into it and heat it. Add bay leaf and whole garam masala to it - when it splutters, add onions and fry for 5 minutes. As it becomes translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes to it. Fry till the tomatoes blend with the onions.
3. Add 2 tbps water and stir. Now, add turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin powder and chilies to it and stir. When the oil seperates from the masala, add the cooked dal and rajma to it. Add salt according to taste. If you want to add some water, go ahead and add 1/2 a cup of hot water. Let it boil for 15 minutes on a slow flame. Add butter to it and switch off the flame.
4. Our yummy Dal Makhani is ready.
5. Before serving, add the cream on top of the dish and sprinkle some coriander leaves over it.
6. This delicious dish is served with plain rice, jeera rice (check out my recipe for this dish) or chapati/roti, paratha, nan or puri. We can serve this dish with condiments such as onion rings, cucumber slices and lemon wedges.
Please note - Sometimes, after cooking the dal, the consistency of the dal looks watery, in this case - blend 2 tbsp of cooked dal and rajma in a mixer/blender, then add this to the dal. This makes the consistency of the dal thicker and creamy in texture. If you don't want to use a blender, simply mash the 2 tbps dal and rajma with a spoon.