Dal Makhani Recipe
This is a very heavy dish and is spicy too. It is made from whole urad dal and rajma mixed together to make an awesome dish that is relished whole heartedly with rotis, naans or even plain rice. This dish is a popular dish from the state of Punjab. It is a rich and creamy recipe and is very tasty when eaten hot and cooked in butter. This dal turns out best when cooked on slow fire. The butter enhances the rich and smooth texture and flavor of this dish.
Ingredients for Dal Makhani
- 1 cup Whole Urad dal or Black Beans
- 2 tbsps Red Kidney Beans or Rajma
- Salt to taste
- Half cup Fresh Cream
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 2 or 3 tbsp Butter
- 5 cups of water
- 2 Dried Red Chillies (soaked in water for some time)
- 4 Tomatoes (chopped fine or grind well into a smooth paste)
- 2 tsp Tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Ginger and Garlic paste
- 1 or 2 tbsp Kasoori Methi Leaves
- A pinch Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg (grated)
How to make Dal Makhani
- First, grind together the ginger pieces, the garlic flakes and the dried red chillies in a grinder into a fine and smooth paste.
- Now wash both the dals nicely in fresh and clean water several times.
- Pressure cook both the dals together in a cooker along with some salt to taste, 1 tbsp ghee, ginger and garlic paste and water for four or five whistles till both dals are well cooked.
- After the first whistle, you can keep it on sim for around half an hour.
- Now close the flame and slowly let the steam subside.
- Now open the cooker and add the chopped tomatoes or pureed tomatoes to this dal.
- Also add the butter and the kasoori methi leaves to the dal.
- Now add the garam masala and the tomato sauce too to this dal.
- Cook the dal on slow fire for around half an hour till the dal is well mixed with the other ingredients and gives a good smell.
- Keep stirring and cooking on slow fire till the dal reaches the correct consistency.(This means the dal must neither be too thick nor watery.)
- At this point you can add the cream and the grated nutmeg too.
- Close the flame and serve this dal makhani in a serving dish along with some coriander leaves for garnishing along with a swirl of fresh cream on top.
- Serve the dal hot with rotis or even with some hot steamed rice.
Please Rate This Recipe
- How to make Aloo Paratha
Delicious Aloo Paratha. How to make delicious Aloo Paratha. Easy to make Aloo Paratha. Simple way to make delicious Aloo Paratha. Aloo Paratha a breakfast recipe.