Dark Chocolate Spice Cupcakes With Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Ever find yourself wanting a cupcake but not wanting to take the time to gather all the ingredients to make 12-24 cupcakes? Why not try these cupcakes perfect for small families or that craving for something sweet. Not only are these cupcakes fast and easy to make, but you don’t have to feel guilty about eating 10 plus cupcakes by yourself.
I love this recipe because it makes just enough for me and my fiancé and I don’t have to worry about eating too many because there are only four cupcakes.
This cupcake has a rich chocolate flavor coupled with a warm spice. Moist, delicious, and full of flavors this cupcake is the perfect little snack. For those of you who do not like frosting, these cupcakes are perfect as they can be eaten plain and still taste great. The dark chocolate-y cupcake stands alone and has the texture and moistness of a brownie; however it is just as good with a maple cream cheese frosting.
Today I made slightly smaller cupcakes so I could have five little delicious cupcakes. I frosted two and left the other three unfrosted as my fiancé doesn’t care for cream cheese.
This recipe is one that I have found online and I have doubled it to make the measurements easier. The frosting however is my own creation and I think it pairs with the cupcakes perfectly. The warm flavor from the maple syrup plays nicely with the spices and the cream cheese is the perfect fit for the chocolate cupcake.
However, the cupcakes need no added flavor of frosting as the flavor and texture of the cupcake itself is deliciously perfect all on its own.
*Note: Add 10-20 minutes for cooling of the cupcakes and frosting them.
Ingredients for Maple Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 Tbs. Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Melted Butter
- 1 Tsp. Milk
- 4 Tbs. Cream Cheese
- 4 Tbs. Maple Syrup
Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 4 Tbs. Flour
- 4 Tbs. Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbs. Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp. Allspice
- 3 Tbs. Milk
- 3 Tbs. Melted Butter
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk all dry ingredient together. Add milk, melted butter, and egg.
- Divide batter evenly between 4 cupcake tins. Add water to empty cupcake cavities.
- While cupcakes are baking prepare frosting. Combine sugar, cream cheese, syrup, milk, and butter. Stir until well combined.
- Let cupcakes completely cool. Frost and serve. Makes 4 moist and delicious dark chocolate spice cupcakes.
Tips for Making Perfectly Moist Cupcakes:
- Mix and measure properly: Carefully measuring ingredients will ensure that you get the fluffiest cupcakes. A pinch of this and a little of that does not work for cupcakes made from scratch.
- When measuring dry ingredients use nesting measuring cups with flat tops so you can level the top.
- Measure wet ingredients in a glass measuring cup on a flat surface for exact measurements.
- Fill cups 1/2 to 2/3 full with batter. Any more batter and you will end up with a gooey mess and less than half and you will end up with skimpy cupcakes that need extra frosting to look bigger.
- Fill cups with the same amount of batter. Use an ice cream scoop or a measuring cup to ensure the same amount of batter in each cup. Uneven batter could create burnt small cupcakes or unfinished larger cupcakes.
- Don’t over mix your batter, this causes your cupcakes to become chewy rather than light and fluffy. Mix your cupcake batter with a light hand.
- Adding water to empty cupcake cavities ensures that the heat will not warp the empty cavities (I've heard that this can make your cupcakes soggy and sag in the middle, but I have been adding water to my empty cupcake cavities for years and have never experienced this problem).
- Adding applesauce instead of oil creates fluffier and more moist cupcakes than using oil and is much healthier for you.
Enjoy these delicious and moist cupcakes next time you have a chocolate craving or are in the need of a small treat. Quick and easy to make these cupcakes will not leave you feeling guilty about indulging in a sweet treat. The perfect dessert for you and a friend.