- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Deb's Quick and Easy Potato Soup
Not Only Gluten Free and For Vegetarians
This will keep you warm in the winter, as well as fill you up. I have tweaked this recipe enough to call it my own now, and it has a flavor that will make you come back for seconds and thirds, so you might want to double the recipe if you have guests or a large family. With these spices, it will definitely taste better the following day, so enjoy, and don't say that I never give you anything to write home about. Even if you're not vegetarian, you could add some ham for another taste sensation.
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut up
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 29 ounces non-chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 3-4 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Combine all ingredients, except last two, in large pot.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Stir cornstarch with a little milk to moisten, then stir into soup
- Cover and cook for another 20 minutes
- Add the rest of the milk and stir until well blended.
- When you add the milk, lower the temperature for the last 30 minutes. Stir occasionally during cooking.
- **If you'd rather put this together and do something else, you can cook in a crockpot. Cook covered at HIGH for 3 hours. When you add the milk and cornstarch, cook another 30 minutes.