How to make Delicate Coconut Cake
Ready to treat yourself to this coconut goodness?
Origins of this coconut cake
O bolo de leite (milk cake) is originally a delicious Brazilian dessert. The coconut version was born in my kitchen when I decided to experiment a bit ;D
The cake uses more milk than flour, which results in its moist texture and is also the perfect cake to make when you have some slightly spoiled milk you don't want to waste, or simply just too much milk.
Some day maybe I'll post the original bolo de leite recipe with my personal twist if anyone is interested.
Deliciousness in .....
Make sure you have the following before beginning
- 1.5 cups flour, white or wholewheat
- 2 cups milk
- .25 cup butter, softened
- .5+ cup coconunt, shredded
- 2 eggs
- .75 cup sugar
- .25 cup coconut oil
- pinch salt
What kind of sugar is needed?
Literally whichever kind you have available. I've tried making this cake with white sugar, golden sugar, brown sugar, even with homemade sweetened condensed milk. I personally tend to use brown sugar since I prefer its taste.
You can also use a mix of sugars; the cake will still taste great
And what about the coconut?
The more, the merrier!
Half a cup or more for the actual cake, and then some to sprinkle over the top. Add around three fourths of a cup to the cake if you want it to have an even stronger coconut taste. You can also sprinkle coconut on top when the cake is done, if you wish to prevent the coconut on top from turning golden.
I personally use unsweetened coconut, but if you want a sweeter cake, feel free to go for the sweetened varieties.
Let's make this cake, shall we ?
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth and blended. If the butter isn't soft enough, you may need to cut it into smaller pieces first.
- Grease the pan you intend to use. I usually use a rectangular 20x45 cm pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan
- Sprinkle some coconut on top.
- Place in the oven for around 60-75 minutes. No use checking it with a toothpick, as it will appear to still be raw. Just let it cool down for around 30 minutes before cutting. The top of the cake being golden is a good indication that it's done.
- Sprinkle more coconut on top if desired.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy! This cake serves around 6 people, depending on the size of the pieces you cut it into, or 1 very hungry person.
I only left it unattended for half an hour... and look what happened XD
Tell me what you think!
© 2018 Janisa