- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Delicious December Meal- Potato Rutabaga Souffle'
Be showered with praise by using this recipe for your guests. Calling it by it's nom de plume-souffle'
- 4 Tablespoons (half stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Cup red onion, minced
- 1 Cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 3 Cup cooked baking potato, mashed
- 3 Cup cooked rutabaga, mashed
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 Cup half & half
- 1 Cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 6 Tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; place in center.
- Saute' the minced onion in 1 Tablespoon of melted butter. Let cool.
- Grease an 8 c. souffle' or casserole dish with 1/2 Tablespoon of the melted butter, and cover buttered surface with 1/3 of the bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Place mashed potatoes and rutabaga in a large mixing bowl, and mix until thoroughly combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs together with half & half, 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese, and 2 Tablespoons of minced parsley. Add the saute'ed onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, mix well, and add mixture to potatoes and rutabaga. Beat with a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes; this helps the potato mixture rise a bit in the oven.
- Turn mixtureinto prepared casserole or souffle' dish. Place remaining melted butter, minced parsley, Parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs in the mixing bowl, combine, and spread on the top of the souffle'. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The mixture should puff up a bit and be golden brown on top.