Quick Snack Idea: Rice Cracker Pizzas
Little Bites of Pizza Heaven
Plenty of people make regular old pizza every day, but it's kind of a chore. What if you want a quick pizza snack without all the work? Try rice cracker pizzas!
Rice cracker pizzas are an extremely simple snack. They're also a million times more delicious than rice crackers on their own, which is saying something because rice crackers are really quite yummy already; crispy, crunchy and salty... what more could you want from a snack?
You can make these little bites of heaven in just a few minutes - great when you're in the midst of a pizza craving! They're make a terrific after-school snack, family movie night snack or even a cold lunch treat. The fact that they can be made with three simple ingredients is an added bonus.
- Handful rice crackers, any brand
- 1/4 cup tomato or pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup cheese, shredded or sliced
- Toppings (optional): Pepperoni, olives, green peppers, etc.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place rice crackers (or Nut Thins) on a baking sheet, leaving a little room between them. You can also line the baking sheet with parchment paper if you like.
- Spoon a dollop of tomato sauce, pizza sauce, or pasta sauce on top of the crackers. Add as much or as little as you like.
- Top the sauced crackers with your favorite cheese and toppings.
- Pop the loaded pizzas into the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. If you like your cheese browned, turn on the broiler for a minute or two, but keep a close eye on it to prevent burning.
- The pizzas will be hot! Let them cool until you can eat them safely. Enjoy!
Other Ways to Make Rice Cracker Pizzas
The recipe for rice cracker pizzas is so flexible, you really can't mess it up. Any combination of a crispy cracker, sauce and cheese is sure to be delicious. Other variations on a classic pizza could include:
- Pesto as a base rather than tomato sauce
- Topping the pizzas with chopped basil, thyme, and other herbs
- Non-gluten-free crackers like Ritz and Wheat Thins
- Using rice cakes or tortillas as a base to make larger pizzas
- Making "gourmet" pizzas with prosciutto and goat cheese (yum!)
This recipe is also so easy that older kids can make it for themselves and their friends. As long as they can safely use an oven, they can make these cute little pizzas... and share them with you!
© 2014 hazelbrown