- Food and Cooking
Delicious Hawaiian Sausage Pineapple Recipe
The Final Product Should Look Like This!
Just a Few Ingredients
Bring the Best Hillshire Farm Sausage or Kielbasa Dish to a Potluck Meal
Have you ever had sweet and hot flavors at the same time. It is quite a delicious combination. The Dole pineapple, pineapple syrup, and Dixie Crystal light brown sugar make the dish sweet. However, the Hillshire Farm hot sausage, made with jalapenos and red chili peppers which gives the dish a little kick!
This recipe is considered the main entrée and can be served in various ways. Generously pour this stir fried sausage and pineapple mixture over a large serving of mashed potatoes, wheat pasta of any kind, or your choice of rice. This meal can be made with kielbasa, Italian sausage, pork sausage, or hot dogs as long as Jalapeno and red chili peppers, or flavoring of the peppers is added to the recipe, should the meat not include these flavors. Add a side salad, or hot green vegetables, and you have an easy, tasty meal.
My husband and I both enjoy cooking as a hobby, not a necessity. He enjoys a hot but flavorful palate whereas my taste buds prefer something a bit more mild. That being said, this is obviously one of Scott Sullivan 's masterpieces. I am publishing it with his permission. If you are like me, however, enjoy the more milder taste of a different flavored sausage. Be creative! Make substitutions and experiment with which flavors you and your family enjoy the most.
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) Hillshire Farm Hot Smoked Sausage, hot
- 8 ounces Dole Canned Pineapple rings or chunks, in heavy syrup
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystal Brown Light Sugar, packed
- Tons of Love, the most important ingredient
- Purchase a Hillshire Farm hot sausage, and chop the sausage into several 1/2 inch slices. These will be browned in the skillet with the other ingredients.
- The pineapple must include heavy syrup. Sometimes it only comes in rings. If that is the case then cut the rings into 1/2 inch by 1 inch chunks.
- If you choose to, spray skillet with non-stick spray. It is not necessary because of the fat in the sausage, but in the beginning it may not be a bad idea.
- Combine the sausage, pineapple, and brown sugar in the skillet and sauté on medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir the combination every few minutes and keep covered.
- Continue to simmer and occasionally stir until the sausage is browned and the pineapple has a brownish color, and has caramelized crispy edges. There will be sweet syrup to use as gravy.
Keep in mind this is not the entire meal. Lighter calorie foods are recommended as sides.
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 39 g||13%|
|Sugar 27 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 30 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
The Right Skillet Can Make All The Difference!
So, what did you think? I would love to know!
Thank you for your interest in my work. I certainly hope the read was helpful and entertaining. Please feel free to leave comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism in the comments section below.
It truly means a lot to me that you've dropped by to read my recipe and I look forward to getting some feedback on the dish. If you are so inclined, please visit my home page at Mmargie1966.hubpages.com and you will find more delicious recipes including great tasting desserts and healthy, low calorie, salads!
"Be kind to one another" ~ Ellen
God Bless You ~ Margaret Sullivan