- Food and Cooking
Delicious Puertorican Empanadas
The following recipe is a family favorite. Empanadas are fairly simple to make and are perfect for lunch and can be accompanied with rice & beans or a salad for a satisfying dinner.This is a basic recipe using Ground Beef but any savory or sweet filling of your choice can be used. The fillings and varieties are endless. I have made this recipe and added american cheese, other versions I've made are all cheese (american), tuna & cheese, spinach and feta for a greek flair, mozzarella, pepperoni & pizza sauce for an Italian taste. Kids love not only eating empandas but helping to make them as well. It's a great dish for a beginning cook and for families on a budget.
I've included a basic sofrito recipe which is the foundation of most savory puertorican recipes. Sofrito can be made in large batches and frozen in jars or ice cube trays for portion control. Once you've used homemade sofrito it is hard to go back to using the store bought kind.
Basic Sofrito Recipe
- Spanish/Yellow Onions
- Mix of Green/Red Bell Peppers
- Fresh Cilantro
Combine all the ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until well pureed. Freeze in jars/zip lock bags/ice cube trays. Most recipes Use 2 Heaping Tablespoons or more to taste.
Basic Empanada Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Meat
- Season to Taste Adobo
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Sofrito, (Goya or Homemade)
- Small Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 package Flour Discs For Empanadas, (Goya-Yellow)
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Using a skillet, Brown the Chopped Meat & drain the excess fat
- Return the Meat to the skillet, season with Adobo to taste, add the sofrito & tomato sauce and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Allow the mixture to cool thoroughly, separate the empanada discs, add 2 Tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center of the disc, fold disc in half and close the half moons edge with a fork, turn the disc over and seal on the opposite side.
- In a separate frying pan add 2-3 inches high of vegetable oil. Heat oil to 325 degrees. Fry until golden brown on both sides turning occasionally to fry both sides evenly.
- Drain on paper towels and Enjoy !