- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Tasty Low-Fat Quick and Easy Stir Fry: Taking your Chicken and Veggies for a Wok
Taking Your Chicken and Veggies for a Wok
Everyone loves a good stir fry. There are so many amazing recipes out there for stir fry dishes. Meat, chicken, pork, vegetables, and tofu are all but a few choices and combinations on an endless list of stir fry cuisine.
There are many who may feel intimidated in cooking a delicious stir fry and just don't have a clue on what to get or what cooking apparatus to use. Well fear not! Stir fry is as easy as drinking water and with a little direction and the right ingredients, you can have a delicious stir fry dish served up for your family in no time.
Why I Enjoy This Stir Fry
I enjoy cooking this recipe for chicken stir-fry because of the nutrional value I receive from each of the ingredients that are used. This stir fry is a low-calorie meal that supplies you with essential vitamins and nutrients such as vitamins A and C, fiber and protein.
What's in it for me?
It's always a good thing to know the nutritional value of the foods we eat. The more we know and understand our foods, the better we feel when we combine them together.
Boneless chicken breasts:
- Low in Calories (per ounce)
- Low in fat (per ounce)
- No carbohydrates
- Very high in protien
- Chinese cabbage has anti-inflammatory properties
- It is an excellent source of folic acid
- Low in calories and low in sodium
- High in vitamin A and a good source of potassium
- Low in saturated fat & low in sodium
- No Cholesterol
- High in dietary fiber and iron
- Very high in niacin and pantothenic acid
- Very high in phosphorus and potassium
- Very high in riboflavin, selenium, and thiamin
- High in vitamin B6, vitamin C, and zinc
Yellow Squash (crooked-neck squash):
- No saturate fat
- No Cholesterol
- Very high in dietary fiber
- Very high in vitamin A
- Very high in vitamin C
- Very low in saturated fat
- No cholesterol
- Very high in dietary fiber
- High in potassium
- High in vitamin B6
- High in vitamin C
Preparation and Cooking Time
How would you rate this recipe?
One of the things I like to do when I cook with many ingredients, is to have all my ingredients prepared and set aside before I do any mixing, heating or baking. This prevents any delay in adding the ingredients at the appropriate time and also from your dish from burning or settling.
When cooking with vegetables, be sure to wash (rinse) them thoroughly before cutting and/or cooking. You don't want to leave any soil remains, bugs or produce spray on your vegetables.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless
- 1 Chinese cabbage head, chopped
- 2 yellow squash, half slices
- 1 extra large brown onion, chopped
- 1 tray whole mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- dash Salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, Extra virgin or light
Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry
|Serving size: 1-1/2 cups|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Protein 23 g||46%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Take 4 boneless chicken strips and cut into small bite size pieces. Salt and pepper the chicken lightly. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice Yellow Squash (or more commonly known as: hook-necked squash.)Cut slices in half. Place in bowl and set aside.
- Chop brown onion and place in bowl. Set aside.
- Take a full large tray of whole mushrooms and slice each mushroom with at least 4 slices. Place back into tray and set aside.
- Take the chinese cabbage and slice in 1 inch slices starting at the top of the head all the way to the base. After you have slice the entire cabbage, chop the slices in opposite direction. Place in large colandar (strainer) and rinse the cabbage thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over med-high heat. Add lightly seasoned chicken and stir until chicken is almost cooked through. (Approximately 5 minutes) You don't want to over cook the chicken as you still need to add the veggies. The chicken will continue to cook after the veggies are added.
- Once the sides of the chicken have begun to turn white, add the onion. Cook until the onion begins to soften. (approximately 3-5 minutes)
- Add the yellow squash and the mushrooms. Continue to cook over med-high heat stirring frequently. As the squash and mushrooms begin to soften, add soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir and continue to cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add all of the cabbage at once, carefully folding it into the mixture allowing the heat and steam to cook the leaves. Conintue to cook for about 10 minutes stirring occassionally.
- Stir fry is finished when all the veggies are soft and simmering. Serve with rice of your choice. It is also just as delicious and filling without the rice.
Recommended Amazon Items by RusticLiving
About the Author
Lisa has directed and acted in musical theatre for nearly 30 years. Her musical upbringing allowed her to pursue her career in teaching and directing and continues to direct shows today. As the owner of 2 online Home Décor sites, Lisa’s passion for Rustic Living all begins with her love for the home, outdoors, and her many hobbies. Lisa loves to laugh, and she share’s that love through her comedic hubs centered on her MOM. Lisa’s passions include writing, directing, acting, photography, singing, cooking, crafts, gardening, and home improvement, including decorating. Lisa also writes under her penned name, Elizabeth Rayen.