- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Delicious Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Cannelloni Recipe
A little while back I was desperately seeking the perfect spinach and ricotta cannelloni recipe, but the trouble I found was that many of the recipes were either too complicated or required lots of extra obscure ingredients. In the end I decided to create my own recipe based on amalgamating the best aspects of all the other recipes into one supreme recipe. I was delighted to discover I got the balance just right, and not only did my Husband enjoy eating the resulting cannelloni for two days running, but my parents also loved it when I presented them with a meal sized portion to enjoy at home. I have decided this is a recipe well worth sharing online, so I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did.
- 150g butter
- 1 clove of garlic, cut into 3 pieces
- 600ml of milk
- 0.5 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tblspn Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- half a carrot, grated
- a handful of fresh parsely, chopped
- half a stick of celery, chopped
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- a small handful of fresh basil leaves, washed
- 500g of fresh or frozen cooked spinach, squeezed of moisture
- 150g of Ricotta cheese
- 150g of soft cream cheese such as Philadelphia
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tblspns Parmesan cheese, grated
- 16-18 dried cannelloni tubes, (or use lasagne sheets briefly immersed in boiling water and rolled around the filling)
- Gently melt the butter in a saucepan on a low heat
- Add the 3 garlic pieces and flour whilst continually stirring, then add the milk . Continue to stir until the sauce thickens and is virtually boiling, then add the mixed spice, salt and pepper to taste and the tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese. Remove the garlic pieces then set the sauce to one side.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a new saucepan and add the crushed garlic.
- Add the celery, parsley and carrot to the pan and fry gently until softened and starting to go a light shade of brown.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and a teacup full of water, then simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes on a low heat
- In a bowl mix your cooked, drained spinach with the cream cheese, ricotta cheese, the beaten egg and the 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Once the mixture is cool enough to handle use your fingers to stuff the cannelloni tubes (blocking one end with the palm of your hand whilst using the fingers of the other hand to fill the tubes), if using lasagne sheets make sure you place the filled 'tubes' seam side down in the buttered dish.
- Lay each filled tube into a buttered or greased dish
- Spoon the warm béchamel sauce over the tubes
- Pour the napoli tomato sauce over the top of the béchamel sauce
- Bake in an oven at 190C (reduce to 170C for fan ovens) for approximately 40 minutes