- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
Delicious Tamil Sri Lanka Chicken Curry Recipe
Enjoy it? Rate it!
This recipe was given to a friend by a Sri Lankan woman, and eventually found its way to me.
Ever since I first tried it, I haven't used any other recipe for chicken curry - it is so delicious.
If your friends like it as much as mine do, they will force you to make a pot of it for them every time you have a potluck to go to. You've been warned!
Ingredients You'll Need
- 6 Chicken breasts or thighs, fully cooked
- 3 Onions, large
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 4 Green chilies, deseeded [can substitute 1 tsp chili powder if needed]
- 1 can Coconut milk
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 teaspoons Ginger, powdered
- 2 tablespoons Turmeric, powdered
- 1 teaspoon Cumin, powdered
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper, powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Lime
- Cilantro, for garnish [optional]
- Finely chop 2 onions, 2 chillies, and 2 garlic cloves
- Puree 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves and 2 chillies in blender
- Cut up chicken into bite-sized chunks
- Toast spices and salt in large frying pan, add 2 tbsp oil [I use sunflower or canola]
- Add the chopped vegetables, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat
- Add chicken and fry for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add pureed ingredients – cook 5 mins medium heat
- Move contents of frying pan to large, covered pot
- Deglaze the frying pan with the chicken stock, and add it to the pot
- Add the coconut milk to the pot
- Cook down over medium heat for about an hour
- Add lime juice just before serving. Serve on a bed of rice. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Assemble your ingredients
Get together everything you'll need into one place. Chop about half of the onions and garlic and chilies as fine as you can, and throw the rest in the blender to puree.
Toast the salt and spices
Throw the salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, and ginger [and chili powder, if you're not using fresh chilies] in a frying pan, and stir it up over medium heat for a minute or two. Take care not to burn them. Add 2 tablespoons of oil.
Add the chopped vegetables
Add the onions, garlic, and chilies that you've chopped up, and cook them for about 5 mins, stirring regularly
Add the chicken
Add the chicken pieces, stir well, and cook another 5 minutes. Add the pureed ingredients for the blender, and cook for 5 more.
Put it all together
Transfer everything from the frying pan to a large covered pot. Deglaze the frying pan with the chicken stock, and add that to the pot. Add the can of coconut milk. Stir it all together.
If you have a large covered pan that can go in the oven, you can bake it - otherwise cook it over medium heat for about an hour. You might need to stir a couple of times, but it doesn't demand too much attention.
Serve it up
Add the juice of 1 lime after it has finished cooking. You can serve it as-is, in bowls, or over a bed of cooked rice.
If you like cilantro, you can garnish it with that [personally, I can't stand the stuff, but I'm told that it goes very well if this dish if you're one of those people who likes it].