- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Cheesy Homemade Potato Soup from Scratch: Easy Recipe
Two-Cheese Loaded Potato Soup
This soup is so filling and cheesy and takes about 1 hour to cook. I've found I get about 8-12 servings from one pot of soup.
- 6 cups Chicken broth or stock
- 2 lbs Potatoes, cut into chunks, (Peel if necessary)
- 3/4 cup All purpose flower
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick Butter
- 3 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Half and half or heavy cream, (no half and half? do 4 cups of milk!)
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Diced, cooked ham, (optional)
- 1/2 package Bacon, (optional)
- 1 cup Sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup Mild (white) cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup Sharp (orange) cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1 Medium-large onion, chopped
- Cook bacon first if you decide to use it. Crumble and set aside.
- In large saucepan: Add broth, onions and potatoes. Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- In smaller saucepan: Melt butter, stirring constantly with whisk. Add milk and heavy cream. Gradually add flour. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the milk-flour mixture into larger saucepan. Add salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add sour cream and cheese. Cook until cheese is melted..
- Add crumbled bacon and ham. Cook until ham is heated.
If soup is too cheesy, go ahead and start by adding 1 cup of milk and cook for another 5 minutes on medium-high. You can keep adding milk until the power of the cheese matches your liking.
Let me know what you think, or about any additions/alterations you have made to make this recipe your own! Comment below please and enjoy!