- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Deliciously Moist Apple and Sultana Cake Recipe
- 250g self raising flour, sifted
- 170g butter, room temperature
- 120g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 90g sultanas
- 450g apples, braeburn or similar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- pinch fine sea salt
- Grease and line an 8 inch round tin or a 2 lb loaf tin and pre-heat oven to 180'c.
- Sift flour, spice and salt into a bowl and then rub in the butter.
- Stir in sugar and sultanas.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and mix in to the ingredients.
- Stir the eggs into the mixture using a metal spoon. The mixture may seem stiff but resist the temptation to add extra liquid as the apples will provide this while baking!
- Turn into tin, smooth down the top and bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Baking time can vary depending on the amount the amount of moisture in the apples but as a general rule you should test by inserting a skewer after an hour. If the skewer comes out clean then the cake is cooked, if not continue to bake until it passes the skewer test.
- Leave cake to cool slightly in tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
Best eaten on the day but will keep in the fridge for a few days.
Suitable for freezing.
This wonderfully moist cake is perfect with morning coffee or afternoon tea but it also makes a fabulous pudding when served warm with custard!